VHI to increase rates by an average 8% from 1st Feb 2010

NovaFlare77

VHI have announced an average price increase of 8% effective from 1st February 2010.

[broken link removed]

Vhi Healthcare Announces Average Price Increases of 8% to Fund the High Quality Healthcare Needs of its Customers

5th January 2010 – Vhi Healthcare today announced that it will increase its prices by an average of 8% with effect from the 1st of February 2010 in order to fund high quality healthcare needs of its customers. Commenting on the planned increase Jimmy Tolan, Chief Executive said “As a not for profit organisation the sole purpose of the price increase is to fund the healthcare needs of our customers. We are particularly aware of the pressure that families are under and have kept the cost of a family of four on Plan B lower than it was this time last year. Our overall price increase is significantly lower than our competitors notwithstanding their market share of customers over the age of sixty is only 15% and consequently their average spend in meeting the healthcare needs of their customers is only 50% of Vhi Healthcare's”.

In 2009 Vhi Healthcare has spent over €1.3 billion in funding the healthcare needs of its customers with over 50% spent meeting the healthcare needs of our older customers. Vhi Healthcare expects to generate total underwriting losses of at least €80m in 2009. It will generate losses of over €170m in meeting the healthcare needs of its 280,000 customers who are sixty years and older. Vhi’s average healthcare spend per customer was €900 which is twice the level of its competitors.

For 2010 the key driver of increased healthcare costs will be the expected year on year growth in the healthcare needs of our customers particularly our older customers. Over the last five years the total number of medical procedures which Vhi Healthcare has paid for on behalf of its customers in private facilities has increased from 293,000 procedures to 507,000 procedures which is an increase of 73% and we expect this to increase by a further 9% in the year ahead. In 2010 we expect that over 70% of our customers healthcare needs will be delivered within private facilities.

According to Jimmy Tolan, “Age and health status are the greatest determinants of healthcare costs for our customers. There have been significant advances in technologies, new drugs and medical devices in the critical areas of cancer and cardiac care and these are having a positive impact on the quality of our customers' lives. However, demand for healthcare services continue to increase and our biggest single challenge is funding our older customers healthcare needs within the current market environment. Vhi Healthcare believes that the current age related tax relief system is only 40% effective and international markets which maintain community rated systems are at least 80% effective. The recent changes to the levy/age related tax relief system for 2010 has worsened our financial position by over €15m as the additional levy which Vhi Healthcare will pay in 2010 will exceed the incremental age related tax relief which our older customers will receive”.

Vhi Healthcare continues to develop new products and services aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of its customers. Our Nurseline service which currently deals with 80,000 medical queries annually recently celebrated its tenth anniversary. Vhi SwiftCare Clinics currently treats over 60,000 minor injuries annually and this continues to grow. In 2009 we screened 4,000 of our customers for Type II diabetes and cardiovascular risk and we expect to screen 30,000 customers by 2011. We are about to launch a hospital in the home service which will begin treating Vhi Healthcare customers within the Dublin area in 2010. We also intend to launch additional services for our customers who suffer from chronic conditions in the year ahead.

Jimmy Tolan said “We expect 2010 to be another challenging year as our competitors will continue to cherry pick by focusing on younger profitable customers and consequently the health insurance market is becoming a risk rated marketplace. Within a highly competitive market place it is not possible for Vhi Healthcare to continue to sustain annual losses in excess of €170m in funding the healthcare needs of its older customers and due to the absence of a robust support mechanism for older members of society it is becoming inevitable that older members of society will pay significantly more than younger members of society for their health insurance”.

Ends

There are also price comparison tables at the end of the press release, but I can't copy and paste them properly into the post. The link above has the full press release.

Great way of holding on to a diminishing market by increasing your prices thus driving the younger age category (more likely to move) to your rivals thus making the problem worse!

I just back and got my quote for health renew from avia, and its going up by €19 a month, so very close to vhi if i go before febuary, so now looks like have to look harder again and see whats the best way to go

I just back and got my quote for health renew from avia, and its going up by €19 a month, so very close to vhi if i go before febuary, so now looks like have to look harder again and see whats the best way to go

Based on the figure quoted you are on i plan level 2 which was €589 last January compared to VHI's €828 for Plan B.

The premium this year is €817 because of the government levy which added an extra €128 to the premium and Aviva then increased prices for 2010 in October to bring premium from €717 to €817 still cheaper than VHI 2009 price of €828 and before the VHI price increase to be added that was announced today.

A very viable alternative would be Level 2 Hospital which reduced its price to €710 until the end of January. You can compare the 2 plans on the hia website.

A word of warning on the hia website it includes plans that are no longer marketed and may not offer as great as benefits as the newer plans so don't waste your time searching and comparing through them all. Post your plans up here and I'll try to give the nearest comparable plan.

PS - another sneaky increase in the government levy was thrown in the day before Christmas, €25 per adult which will be absorbed by the insurers for the moment

regards

John

I am currently on plan A due to finanial constraints. Two adults and 2 kids. Is there a comparable plan with another insurer, or indeed a better plan for around the same money? I cannot get my head around all the different plans. I don't need dentist and GP cover etc, just the hospital etc.

The price of my VHI has been increasing at a mad pace for the last ten years, in fact as far back as I can remember. Its' only going in one direction and thats up.
Can we expect no deflation in health care costs ever even though the price of other services in our economy is going down ?

The Irish Examiner had this line in their front page article:

"Yesterday’s VHI price increase does not relate to its company schemes, but a spokesperson said an announcement on a March increase for those plans was imminent. "

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/home/vhi-older-clients-will-pay-more-109080.html#ixzz0bq3wkmcC

If anyone is interested in switching over to one of VHI's company plans, under open enrolment, VHI can't refuse to let you join. The cover may not be exactly the same as what you have so make sure to check the cover first.

John Can you point me in the right direction I was recently made redundant and to cut costs I downgraded my Aviva plan to we level 1, I have recieved the medical card for all the family Is it worth my while to continue with this plan. I have been quoted 457eu per adult by Quinn for essential plus started but this could be difficult on Job seekers allow Thanks Sined

John Can you point me in the right direction I was recently made redundant and to cut costs I downgraded my Aviva plan to we level 1, I have recieved the medical card for all the family Is it worth my while to continue with this plan. I have been quoted 457eu per adult by Quinn for essential plus started but this could be difficult on Job seekers allow Thanks Sined

I'm getting in before John LOL.

The Essential Plus starter product from Quinn would offer a but more hopsital cover than Aviva's We Plan Level 1 so you might still have room to save money. Level 1 covers a semi private room (i.e. a room with up to 6 beds) in public hospitals, whereas Essential Plus Starter covers a private room in public hospitals and a semi private room in some private hospitals.

If you want cover for a semi private room in a public hospital, Quinn's Essential Starter is the cheapest out there and costs €380 per adult. It isn't exactly the same as Aviva, because the maternity cover on it is only €400 compared to aviva's €2,450. It also doesn't have the same kind of cover Avivia offers for teeth whitening, eye laser surgery, etc but I imagine that in your current circumstances this aren't relevant right now. Also the list of MRI & CT scan centres isn't as comprehensive as Aviva's so check first which ones Quinn cover closest to you. Quinn's website has a list of covered scan centres here - http://www.quinn-healthcare.com/products_and_services/direct_payment_centres.htm.

That said, it's the cover my brother and his family (wife, 3 kids and 1 student) are on and they're happy with the cover they have.

(I'll add the usual cavaet that I used to work for BUPA, but not anymore. Heck, the second my company paid cover with them stopped, I switched to Hibernian because it was the best price for me at the time.)

A word of warning on the hia website it includes plans that are no longer marketed and may not offer as great as benefits as the newer plans so don't waste your time searching and comparing through them all.

John, just curious, which plans on the HIA website are no longer on offer? I can see Aviva's day to day b, which I don't think is on offer any more, but I can't pick out any others.

Thanks Novaflare77 Maternity cover is not an issue for me Im 50 with 3 teenagers Quinn looks the best for me

Thanks Novaflare77 Maternity cover is not an issue for me Im 50 with 3 teenagers Quinn looks the best for me

Quick note: if any of your teenagers are 18 or over and in full time education, make sure to get the student rate. Aviva's is best at the moment in that their student rate is up to 23 whereas it's 21 with VHI and Quinn.

John, just curious, which plans on the HIA website are no longer on offer? I can see Aviva's day to day b, which I don't think is on offer any more, but I can't pick out any others.

eg Smart Plan, Market plan, Health plan , some of the teachers plans and all the variations. One of the problems with the HIA website is that there is so much information, joe public could end up picking a plan that has a better alternative from one of the 3 providers. When I say that they are not marketed, there still could be people renewing on the plans and they have to be made available to all. Some people will never change their existing plans because of inertia or they could be happy with what they have - I still have Eircom Bronze Options !

Level 1 Hospital for €520 or Level 1 Access for yourself and Level 2 Hospital for €215 for any of students if they are 21 or 22 years of age.Compare the QUINN plan to these on the hia website.

regards

John

eg Smart Plan, Market plan, Health plan , some of the teachers plans and all the variations. One of the problems with the HIA website is that there is so much information, joe public could end up picking a plan that has a better alternative from one of the 3 providers. When I say that they are not marketed, there still could be people renewing on the plans and they have to be made available to all. Some people will never change their existing plans because of inertia or they could be happy with what they have - I still have Eircom Bronze Options !

If the plans are not being marketed to new customers but are available to buy, then I think the HIA comparison is definitely needed. All three insurers have group scheme-targetted plans like this that can represent good value compared to the more mainstream plans and, as I've said in other threads, I think the public's awareness of these plans needs to be raised. If including them in the HIA's comparisons facilitates that, then I'm for it, as long as they're comparing like with like.

As you say, people may be happy with what they have, but I think it's always good to know what the other options are. If nothing else, it re-inforces that any the particular poduct a person is on is the best for their needs.

However, if you mean that these plans are no longer on sale to new customers, and only available to those that joined them before being withdrawn (I'll skip any questions about Open Enrolment), then yes, the HIA comparison should note this so as to avoid confusion.

If the plans are not being marketed to new customers but are available to buy, then I think the HIA comparison is definitely needed. All three insurers have group scheme-targetted plans like this that can represent good value compared to the more mainstream plans and, as I've said in other threads, I think the public's awareness of these plans needs to be raised. If including them in the HIA's comparisons facilitates that, then I'm for it, as long as they're comparing like with like.

As you say, people may be happy with what they have, but I think it's always good to know what the other options are. If nothing else, it re-inforces that any the particular poduct a person is on is the best for their needs.

However, if you mean that these plans are no longer on sale to new customers, and only available to those that joined them before being withdrawn (I'll skip any questions about Open Enrolment), then yes, the HIA comparison should note this so as to avoid confusion.

Well they are all available to buy !

Back