Health Insurance VHI renewal for a family of 5

Loopylou

Hi all at AAM

I found this site recently and am delighted to have found so much useful info, thanks to all. This is my first post so please be patient…

Our health insurance is due for renewal on 1st August and I'm looking for some advice as to the best options for us. Our situation is as follows..

Up until our renewal (august 1st) last year, our health insurance policy was VHI PMI 19 11 paid for in full by my husbands employer…Last year our situation changed as my OH changed jobs so we are currently paying for the insurance ourselves..hence we are now looking at all options..

Our current plans are:

Myself…...Aged 37….PMI 19 11….Renewal Cost €1150.83 (net of TRS)
OH………..Aged 39…..PMI 19 11….Renewal Cost €1150.83
Child 1…Aged 5(almost 6) PMI 19 11 Renewal Cost €343.11
Child 2..Aged 4 One Plan Family Renewal Cost €145.04
Child 3..Age 11 months Company plan extra Level 2… Renewal Cost €427.35

Total Renewal Cost €3217.16 (€268.09 per month)

The baby was free with VHI until renewal, hence i opted for a very comprehensive policy for him. Child 1 will turn 6 in August and will lose his free GP visit card. He has approx 2 consultant visits per year as he has had grommets inserted a few times so he may require more cover than the other children but I'm unsure if its worth paying a premium for day-day cover for him. His surgeries have been done privately and he may require one more day case surgery in the coming year.

Luckily we are a fairly healthy bunch, long may it last. There are the usual couple of physio visits, dental visits etc each year. The younger children are still eligible for free GP visits (I downgraded child 2's cover on renewal last year to reflect this…)

We have no loyalty to any particular insurer and I've trawled through the seemingly millions of plans available with the help of the HIA webiste too and have come out even more muddled…hence my post here, I'd really appreciate some help on how to save some €€€'s this year.

If any further info is required please ask….

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Loopylou,

Welcome to AAM.

Firstly, a quick question regarding the 5 yr old, what hospital does he attend with the grommets?
Do you pay privately for the consultant visits?

Option 1
If you all want to stay with VHI, the following plans are recommended to consider;
2 Adults; Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1131pa( from 1 August 2016); same hospital cover as before(+ including Bons Secours),
private/hi-tech excess 150, good day to day cover - 1 euro excess - 60 per consultant visit, 25 per gp, dental, physio etc.

1 yr old and 4 yr old; One + Plan; price 137 per child;(from 1/8/2016) public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or day case. No day to day cover - not required as free GP visits apply.

6 yr old; Company Plan Extra Level 2 Excess; price 378pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or day case. Note; no excess applies to any public hospital. Very good day to day cover, 100 refund per consultant visit, 40 per gp visit etc.

Total Family Cost; 1131 + 1131 + 137 + 137 + 378 = 2914pa or 242.83 per month.

[broken link removed]

Option 2
Alternative plans with Laya for 2 adults + 6 yr old and VHI for 1 + 4 yr olds. Details as follows;

2 Adults; Laya Simply Connect; price 1063(1093)pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, max excess 150 x 2 per year, day case excess 50 per visit, day to day cover 50% of 600 = 300 max refund per person per year.

6 yr old; Laya Control 150 Secure; price 315(325)pa; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, excess 150 per admission or day case in a private or hi-tech hospital, no excess applies to any public hospital. Very good day to day cover 100 refund per consultant visit, 40 per gp visit etc.

1 yr old and 4 yr old; VHI One + Plan; price 137 per child (from 1/8/2016) Same as before see option 1 above.

Note; There is a 3% charge with Laya if you pay monthly by installments, prices in brackets includes this charge.

Total Family Price including 3% extra; 1093 + 1093 + 325 + 137 + 137 = 2785pa or 232.08 per month.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb - thanks so much for your reply - eldest child has had his procedures done in both Clane and hermitage (as day cases). He sees the consultant privately approx twice per year.

Thanks again
Loopylou

Loopylou,

The private hospital day case excess will be the significant factor in choosing a plan for your eldest child.
With this in mind, there are 2 alternative plans with Laya that would be an advantage in this regard - the private day case excess is just 50 euro per day case. Also, strictly speaking if you switch to a plan with a lower excess amount, there would usually be a 2 year waiting time before the new excess applies in relation to a pre-existing condition. VHI would be strict in applying this rule. Laya healthcare are not strict in applying this rule,they usually allow the new lower excess amount to apply straight away. This would be a big advantage in his case. Both hospitals he attends are fully covered for day case and inpatient semi-private room on both plans.
You could confirm this with Laya before deciding - re 50 euro lower excess applying to a possible day case in the coming year.

The 2 plans worth considering are as follows;

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 252(260) per child; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, private day case excess 50 per visit, inpatient overnight excess 150 x 2 max per year, good day to day cover - 50% refund for consultant visits, gp, dental, etc - note; max day to day refund per year is 50% of 600 = 300 per year.

2. Laya Simply Connect Plus; orice 277(285) per child; public, private + hi-tech hospital cover, private day case excess 50 per visit, inpatient
overnight excess 150 x 1 max per year. Good day to day cover - 50% refund per consultant visits, gp visits, dental etc - note; max day to day refund per year is 50% of 1000 = 500 per year.

[broken link removed]

The other 2 children can be left with VHI, an adult is named on the policy but just the children are insured, if you want.

Regards, Snowyb

Back