VHI VHI Renewal currently on Healthplus Choice

ClarityJ

Hi there,

I'm renewing with VHI and am currently on Healthplus Choice (like many have been on the same plan since I started with VHI over 25 years ago).

I asked them to recommend a comparable plan across all their best deals and corporate plans as the Healthplus Choice is currently 2,879.61.

VHI recommended their PMI 41 15 plan (with additional excesses) for 1247.88

Looking for advice to see if this is the best option to go with or should I look at another plan. (looking to see if it's best cover for possible future problems with eyes, heart, cancer). Currently in their 14 days cooling opportunity.

Thanks in advance.

ClarityJ

ClarityJ,

Welcome to AAM. The extra cover on Healthplus Choice includes cover for a private room in a private hospital.
VHI PMI 41 15 does not have this type of cover, a private room would cost an extra 300 approx per night, depending on the hospital.
VHI PMI 41 15 is a very good plan, with good day to day cover, once you understand about the private room cover.

There is no identical plan with VHI, the nearest equivalent plan would be VHI PMI 42 15.
A private room in a private hospital would cost 50 euro per night extra, if required and if available.
This plan also has no hospital excess for admissions or day case.
There is also very good day to day cover included on this plan which is not covered on Healthplus Choice.

An equivalent plan with Laya healthcare is called Simplicity plan.
This plan covers a private room in a private hospital.
There is a max hospital excess 100 x 2 per year for private or hi-tech admissions.
Day case excess is 50 per visit.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much. I'll contact them again tomorrow.

It's difficult to understand the excess. I understood it to be once off 75 for overnight(s) stay and 50 for day cover and nothing extra per night for private room.

Many thanks again Snowyb

Regarding VHI PMI 41 15 plan, any public hospital is fully covered including a private room, also no excess of 75 or 50 applies to any public
hospital.
The 75 excess applies to private or hi-tech hospitals for every admission (or stay) and 50 for each day case cover which you mentioned correctly.
This plan fully covers you for a semi-private room(shared room) in a private hospital, and if you want a private room there is a balance to pay per night.
You would be covered upto the semi-private rate, with a shortfall to be paid per night for a private room, this amount would depend on the hospital involved and could be 200 - 300 approx.

The VHI PMI 42 15 plan has no excess to pay for admissions or daycase in private or hi-tech hospitals.
Likewise, you would be fully covered for a semi-private room in a private hospital. If you want a private room, you just have to pay 50 euro shortfall
per night.

Laya Simplicity fully covers a private room in a private hospital.
An excess of 100 applies for just 2 admissions per year, regardless of how many admissions you may have.
A day case excess of 50 euro applies for each day visit to a private or hi-tech hospital.

An alternative Laya plan with no excess to pay, plus full cover for a private room in a private hospital, is called Total Health Select, price 1929pa.
Good day to day cover included in this plan also.
[broken link removed]

Hope this explains things more clearly.

Snowyb

Aha! Many thanks for explaining these details, it's very much appreciated.

Closer to making a decision.

Thanks again for your help Snowyb.

Back