Health Insurance Vhi 31/12 vs laya health care total health plus

tom1ie

As the title suggests I'm trying to compare both plans, but I'm not getting very far to be honest. Vhi coming in at €3640 and laya coming in at €3572 for 2 adults and 2 children.
We are on vhi at the minute, my wife is visiting a dermatologist at the minute, and receives €25 back from a €200 consultation. They will pay back €25 a maximum of 6 times.
Is it any different with laya?
Thanks for your help.

tom1ie,

Just a couple of quick questions;

1. When is your renewal date?
2. What VHI plan are you all on at the moment?
3. Is your wife under 50 yrs of age?

Laya will refund 50% of consultant visit cost, ie 100 per visit.

Snowyb

Renewal date is 21st oct.
we are all on vhi day to day pmi 31 12 (the health plan is provided via my wife's job)
My wife is in her early 30's as am I.

Would I loose any hospital benefits or any other benefits going to the laya plan?
Thanks snowyb

I'm just trying to figure out where the 25 refund per visit is coming from. Is this information confirmed by VHI? According to the HIA link, there should be a 60 refund per consultant visit with PMI 31 12 plan. Are they treating it as a gp visit or is there a specially revised list of day to day
benefits with plan PMI 31 12 through the company?

There are a couple of different options open to you, to make considerable savings on premium and also increase refund benefits;
While Total Health Plus is a good plan, there is a better priced plan with better cover worth considering, as follows;

Adult Option;
1. Laya Simplicity plan; price per adult 1087pa; public, private(including private room) and hi-tech hospital cover included. Good day to day
cover included, 50% consultant visits, gp visits refund etc. Note; first 100 not allowed for one person or 200 per 2 adults or family.
[broken link removed]

Childrens Options
1. Laya Simplicity Plan; price 256pa per child; public, private(including private room) and hi-tech hospital cover included. Good day to day
cover included; first 100 not allowed.

An alternative option with VHI - half-price offer upto 31st October 2016.
2. VHI One + Plan; price 137 per child; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover included. Private excess 125 per admission or day case.
No day to day benefits on this plan but the overall savings will cover plenty of gp visits.
VHI allow children to be insured on their own, an adult is just named on the policy but only the children are insured.

Total family price; 1087 + 1087 + 256 + 256 = 2686. Price including 3% charge if you pay monthly = 2686 + 80 = 2766
or
Total family price; 1087 + 1087 = 2174 + 137 + 137 = 2448 or 2511(including 3% charge if you pay monthly).

If you want to stay with VHI, there are a couple of cheaper options as follows;
1. Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1131pa; same hospital cover as before, excess 150, same day to day benefits, 60 x 7 consultant visits.
2. VHI PMI 35 15; price 1238pa; same hospital cover as before, 100 excess, same day to day benefits, 60 x 7 consultant visits.

[broken link removed]

Childrens Options
VHI One + Plan; price 137 per child; details as above.

Total family price; 1131 + 1131 + 137 + 137 = 2448
or
1238 + 1238 + 137 + 137 = 2750
You can choose different plans each, if you want.

You don't lose hospital cover or benefits with Laya. Simplicity plan has extra hospital cover, private room in a private hospital fully covered.
Even if you switch for 1 year to avail of the extra refund. You can re-assess your situation after 1 year and return to VHI at that stage.
Is your premium paid by the company or do you get a reduced corporate price overall for the family?

Your renewal date works in your favour, as you avoid the price increases from 1st November and the VHI half price childrens offer which ends
31st October 2016.

Regards, Snowyb

Back