Vehicle to tow a boat

jesster

We have just bought a 20ft boat/cruiser, which came with a single axle trailer. I am just wondering what type of vehicle would be capable of towing the boat and also launching boat in and out of water. Do we need 4 wheel drive? SUV or would a saloon do the job. OH wants to get an SUV but I'm not sure if its necessary. I thought maybe a 1.6 or 1.8 might do the job.

Towing on the road is probably not a problem for a decent car.

Getting boat in and out at slipways is where you might need the bigger machine - it depends on the slipway you intend to use. Also, is this just to trailered on and off at the end\start of each season, or would the boat be trailered to water for each trip? If it is trailered for every trip, you would probably want the comfort of a good big LandRover\LandCruiser\Pajero type vehicle.

Get advice from somebody who uses the same access point - or just go along and see what other people do.

It also depends a lot on the actual weight of the boat. If it is a commercially produced model then it should be available either on the boat or from their website. Also include the weight of outboard motor etc.

Cars will also state the maximum towing capacity in their manual. And as MOB said, it depends on whether you are launching and retrieving each time, or putting it in an out at the start/end of each season. If it is the latter, then you may be able to borrow a 4x4 for the job.

As a rule of thumb, the longer the wheelbase,the easier it is to tow something (I know, I have a two door Rav4 and a boat :eek: - but I only two it about 11 miles).

And finally, four wheel drive is much better on a slick ramp, but if it is a necessity will depend on the gradient, and the state of the tide. For example at high tide you can launch no problem, but if you have to retrieve at low tide you have to drive over a lot of seaweed. As you slide back into the water is not the time to find out that your frontwheel drive fiesta is not up to the job :D

By the way, check out the driving licence requirements regarding towing a trailer. The new rules of the road specify the size and weight of trailers that are allowed on a B licence. Single axle and not more than 750kg if I remember correctly. After that you have to get a trailer licence.

a diesel engine will give you a lot more torque at the low end where you will need it on slipways etc.

Thanks for all that info. I think we will launch boat start of season 2008 and take it out at the end. We dont live near Shannon so towing it every other weekend is not going to be an option.

I have been at a few marinas and the slipways vary in gradiant. I have been watching other people with their boats, most have 4x4 but I wasnt sure if a lot of it was an image thing.

Didn't know about the licence requirements for towing. I'll have to look into that.

20FT is not huge so it would be feasible to tow it. as mentioned, getting it in and out of the water could be a big problem. if you put it into a marina it will cost you a fair bit and you are tied to one location.
if i was you and had the space, id buy a cheap <=77 v8 petrol landrover for 1-3k , insure it with the irish vintage soc for 150 and tax it for 40'ish per annum (after its 30th b'day).
it would basically cost you nothing to have and you could get your money back when you sell it. you could then take your boat to different places each weekend.

Check your driving licence that you have the extra to tow as the gardai are now stopping vehicles towing trailers to check it.

if i was you and had the space, id buy a cheap <=77 v8 petrol landrover for 1-3k , insure it with the irish vintage soc for 150 and tax it for 40'ish per annum (after its 30th b'day).
it would basically cost you nothing to have and you could get your money back when you sell it. you could then take your boat to different places each weekend.

Great idea - I like it! :)

Back