Validity of contract where telecoms provider changes terms midway

Emma36

I am currently in contract with eir for broadband, tv, telephone etc. About 3 months ago, I got a letter stating that my monthly fee was going up by €5. I didn't pay it much attention but when I called recently, I asked to be released from the contract on the basis that they had unilaterally changed the terms midway through. The operator I spoke to, speaking from a script, explained that I had been given an opportunity to break contract during the month that followed the letter. By doing nothing within that time, I was effectively agreeing to the increased price and to remaining in contract. So my failure to act was a passive/ tacit agreement.
It's no big deal and not a lot of money but I'm curious as to the legality of that approach, if anyone knows. Thanks!

I didn't pay it much attention but when I called recently, I asked to be released from the contract on the basis that they had unilaterally changed the terms midway through.

I got a similar letter advising of a €5 per month increase but they also told me in the letter that I had 30 days to withdraw from the contract. Not withdrawing automatically renews your contract as amtc indicates above. I only have broadband and phone with eir and my contract was increasing from €53 to €58 per month and they were throwing in eir sports as well , which I didn't want. I went on to www.bonkers.ie, saw that the cheapest package for what I wanted was €45 per month with Vodafone which included BB, line rental and unlimited fixed line calls. Rang eir and they matched the deal without the unlimited calls, which are not that important to me. Bottom line is I now have an 18 month contract with eir for €45 per month which includes BB and line rental.

Back