Upgrading Gas Boiler ?

horusd

Hi all I currently have an "Ideal"Classic boiler which is far from ideal - takes a good while to get going. Its not old, ( 6 yrs I think), but it's D rated and it doesnt have a separate switch to heat water only. I asked installer aboutSEI grant and he said it would be cheaper to replace it exl. grant with an "non-condensing" A rated boiler for about €1900 incl installation. (The grant process & condensing being too messy). I have 2 questions: What is the best boiler to get roughly what should it cost? - I really want to go for good quality that will last. I had a look at sedbuk, but the No of boilers is bewidering. The SEI grant with add'l requirements seems messy - has anyone gone thro this, and is it worth the hassle? I'm a bit of a Green freak, so would prefer to do my bit. Any help would really be appreciated - I've previously had bad experiences with gas installers, so its hard to know who to trust for advice.

Have a look at [broken link removed] this will give you a good overview of the requirements of a good system. I would say it's less about being green and more about making your system as controllable as possible to save money, without the correct controls you are wasting money. As a minimum i would want timed control for heating and hot water, with a room stat(s) controlling the temperature in the house and a clinderstat controlling the cylinder and a good flush/power flush to make sure everything stays clean, for a wish list i would have TRV's and a boiler with a outdoor temperature sensor which can reduce gas usage dramatically (in some cases). I can't answer your question about the grant but for which boiler, i like Viessmann and Worcester Bosch, it's always good to find out about the service network in your area before you buy a boiler(ring the manufactures and ask) because there is no point having the best if there is no back up, which seems to be the case with Valiant(shame,very good boilers) you can buy cheap but there is a big difference in the build quality and controllability between a high end boiler and a cheap one, get a few quotes which is always the best way to get a feel for a price, Gary.

Gary thanks for all that information. I'll check out that website and thanks for explaining some of the features to look out for,( some of this sound like greek to me! so it's good to have it explained), and which boilers are good. If you or anyone can recommend any good companies in the Dublin area that would be great.

I think it always good to ask the local merchants/suppliers who they think are good installers, a bad installer will stick out like a sore thumb as they cause a lot of problems for a merchants/suppliers:eek:, because of that most suppliers/merchants are happy to promote decent installers, Gary.

For Viessmann http://www.precisionheating.ie/ (suppliers)
tell them Gary recommend them off boards and they may give you a better price, i have no connection to Precision(i just like their boilers) and i work for another boiler manufacturer who would shoot me for not promoting them:eek:

Thanks Gary, for all that info. I have a better handle on it now. AndI'll go and get a couple of quotes. Again, really appreciate this help.

Back