Unusual bank error in my favour, advice needed

It's been well established in law that you cannot take advantage of a banking error in your favour. Hence if AIB want to chase you for the money they can and you need to deal with the consequences of that. If you are not satisfied with the performance of AIB then you should file a complaint against them via their internal complaints process and if you feel it is serious enough seek compensation. If you are not satisfied with how they handled your complaint then you may have a case to complain to the ombudsman. However, as it stands, you owe then €5400

I am not sure AAM can provide any additional relevant and meaningful information for the OP, clearly a big spender who does not like the advice provided which is a shame.

It is not possible to teach people about right and wrong, adults get it or they don't, errors happen but you are afforded no legal defence that will succeed for a genuine error such as occurred here, pay back the money promptly and grow up.

I am not going to have a go at you about the morality of the situation, other posters have made clear that an error on the banks part is no mitigation. The money needs to be repaid to AIB (since they are the ones out of pocket and as you say yourself, when you contacted AIB about the cheque you thought Tesco had not received they actually refunded you fines and interest that Tesco had imposed)

AIB cannot talk to Tesco for you because they would be acting on your behalf. Think about it, you would probably be extremely upset with AIB if they went around discussing your finances with other institutions.

AIB are looking to secure a quick repayment of the €5400, hence the reason they are asking you to contact Tesco, however as you say that would be punitive for you as you would then have to pay an excessive interest rate to Tesco.

I think your best bet is to focus on AIB, offer to clear the €5400 debt on a reasonable time frame instead of their proposed solution which consists of you chasing Tesco for it and then having to work out how to repay Tesco.

AIB are looking to secure a quick repayment of the €5400, hence the reason they are asking you to contact Tesco, however as you say that would be punitive for you as you would then have to pay an excessive interest rate to Tesco.

This would not be punitive to the OP. The money was spent on the Tesco card. There is nothing in AIB's request that puts the OP at a disadvantage except the inconvenience of having to contact Tesco.

There is ligon, because then he will have to pay Tesco back the €5400 (+whatever interest charges etc apply) that they pay AIB. It would be simpler to cut out the middle man and deal straight with AIB on the issue.

There is ligon, because then he will have to pay Tesco back the €5400 (+whatever interest charges etc apply) that they pay AIB. It would be simpler to cut out the middle man and deal straight with AIB on the issue.

The €5,400 he should pay back was never his. If he has interest/charges/penalties to pay they will only be on his own family's spend on the Tesco card since the balance transfer so he will rightfully have to pay these but there is nothing punitive to him. If anything the mistake may reduce these.

I think the key thing in this thread is in the title - 'in my favour'. It doesn't sound like the OP is too aggrieved. Rather that he is trying to turn the bank's mistake to his advantage and is seeking posters help on this.

Back