unfinished development next to apartment complex

zbor911

Hi,

just next to our apartment complex is land where developer was supposed to build another building. But that has not happen and I do not think it will (because of financial problems, recent floods etc). I think I heard (not confirmed) that planning permission for this expires in 2017 and will not be renewed.

Developer, of course, owns the land next to our apartment complex and he leased the land where our building is to the OMC.

There are two problems:

The first problem is that it looks ugly - there are rusty containers with tools there, huge piles of concrete, steel and stone. There are mattresses, plastic bottles and other garbage. We are also thinking that it might be rat infested. It looks very ugly but he has no interest in cleaning it up - because it costs money.

The second problem is that he never finished final wall around the whole complex. In the building plan that was approved by county council there is stone wall around our complex and around (non-existent) building in the area next to our apartment complex. But because he never finished that other building he also never finished the wall. Today there is temporary fence (ugly one) around the whole complex. I guess he is waiting for something before he decides how to finalize this.

Any ideas if OMC can do anything about this? Does anyone know what happens when planning permissions expire in Ireland? Any way we can "force" him to clean up the area and build the stone wall (as per original planning permission or maybe amended one)?

My gut feeling is that there is nothing we can do - but just wanted to see how others are dealing with similar problems.

thanks

What have ye done up until now about it? It sounds like an environmental hazard and an unofficial dump - I think you need to get in contact with your local county council and have them start chasing the "developer".

Thank you. We did not do much until now - only recently OMC got in a good shape and we are trying to resolve many of the outstanding problems.

I will definitely follow the links you suggested and see what we can do about it.

kind regards

Back