Undisputed human rights abuses by the British government against Catholics during the troubles

SGWidow

I'm doing a bit of research on human rights abuses.

What I'm looking for help with is a list of the confirmed/undisputed human rights abuses perpetuated by the British authorities aaginst the Catholic Community during the troubles both in Northern Ireland and on the British Mainland.

All I need is the name of the incident (just want to make sure that I haven't left out anything obvious) and the briefest of descriptions if it is not a well-known case.

Sorry if my request seems a little vague - I just don't want to be any more prescriptive at this stage!

What I'm looking for help with is a list of the confirmed/undisputed human rights abuses perpetuated by the British authorities against the Catholic Community during the troubles both in Northern Ireland and on the British Mainland
Small point; it's just Britain, not the British mainland. That is unless you are talking in the context of Shetland or some similar island.
The only 'mainland' near us is the European mainland. Other than that there's just a couple of Islands.

Small point; it's just Britain, not the British mainland. That is unless you are talking in the context of Shetland or some similar island.
The only 'mainland' near us is the European mainland. Other than that there's just a couple of Islands.
Great Britain is the correct geographic term - mirroring the French of la Grande Bretagne vs la Bretagne (Brittany).

Yes @Purple - I'm not interested in cases that occured in Shetland or the Orkneys for that matter - hence, my wording. Admittedly, I'm a bit ambivalent as to whether the Isle of Skye is to be included given the "new" bridge! [Read: Go away, Purple!!!! You got me!!]

Yes @Purple - I'm not interested in cases that occured in Shetland or the Orkneys for that matter - hence, my wording. Admittedly, I'm a bit ambivalent as to whether the Isle of Skye is to be included given the "new" bridge! [Read: Go away, Purple!!!! You got me!!]
Using the term 'the Orkneys' rather than 'Orkney' could be considered an 'incident'.

Sample from this link:
“CAIN” said:
...no evidence of systematic discrimination against Catholics. The greatest bias appears to favour Catholics in areas controlled by Catholic councillors.
This explains how Unionists were not the bad guys pre Troubles that everybody paints them out to be. We are looking for instances of the Brits being bad guys during the Troubles.

Sample from this link:

This explains how Unionists were not the bad guys pre Troubles that everybody paints them out to be. We are looking for instances of the Brits being bad guys during the Troubles.

:D :D :D

The author being Graham Gudgin.

Is this the same Graham Gudgin who is a member of the DUP?
It should be noted that his articles do not represent CAIN.

Most people would have had to dig deep to find this article let alone endorse it.
The Duke is revealing his true colours!

Most people would have had to dig deep to find this article let alone endorse it.
The Duke is revealing his true colours!
No digging at all. @time to plan supplied the link in #7
On the stated fact that nationalists got more than their proportionate share of social housing Colum Eastwood actually turns this into another evidence of MOPE - the Prods were further up the social ladder.

On the stated fact that nationalists got more than their proportionate share of social housing Colum Eastwood actually turns this into another evidence of MOPE - the Prods were further up the social ladder.

Duke, the only ones throwing the MOPE accusations are the loyalist and Unionist community as a derogatory term to deflect away from institutional discrimination from the Stormont regime against Catholics.
There was institutional discrimination, of that there was no doubt. Otherwise there would have been no widespread mobilisation of Catholics behind a civil rights movement.
That said, poor Protestants were as likely to suffer deficits in social housing and provisions also.

Let me just say, there is no question in my mind that Catholics in NI suffered as much discrimination as say, black people in South Africa or in the USA. There is simply no comparison in terms of extent and scale.

But there are similarities. Here is one, did you know, just like Catholics in NI, black people in South Africa and in the USA got disproportionate amounts of social housing allocated to them relative to the white population?

Going by Gudgins thinking this is concrete proof that the apartheid and segregation laws of SA and USA are actually exaggerated!

Of course this is nonsense. What Gudgin fails to grasp is that by design a Unionist majority would have perpetual power and therefore Nationalist ambition was always hindered and curtailed.
This obvious, and undisputed, political discrimination fed into the organs and institutions of the State. The RUC being the most obvious example with some 7%(?) of officers being Catholic.

The existence of NI is predicated on their being perpetual segregation and division between Catholic and Protestants, between British and Irish.
It is the raison d'être of Northern Irelands existence.

A NI completely devoid of these divisions and in a spsce of harmony between neighbours would quickly subsume into a UI.

Let me just say, there is no question in my mind that Catholics in NI suffered as much discrimination as say, black people in South Africa or in the USA. There is simply no comparison in terms of extent and scale.
Glad to hear that. I generally agree that the points you make are factually accurate. I just question the perspective you put on them. The above quote shows a proper perspective.

Back