Under aged and mentally disabled brother in car accident

Klesser

Hi,
Im hoping someone may have some advice for my mother.

My 14 year old brother has a severe mental and emotional disability (ADHD and frontal lobe damage with various other conditions).

My parents had a old car locked in there garage and my brother and a "freind" managed to break in and steal the car on friday night at about 2 in the morning. He then drove it to the nearest villiage where he hit another car.

He then drove home put the car back and pretended nothing happened.

My parents knew nothing about this until yesterday evening the 19year old driver of the car called to there house saying that his car had been damaged beyond repair and he wants €5000 to replace it or he will go to the gaurds.

My parents do not have this money and no way of getting it. They could not even afford a solicitor.
Any advice would be greatly welcomed as to what to do here

Wha6t about the parents of the "friend"? Who was actually driving the car? Was there insurance on the car (efffectively, it was "stolen" and yoru brother was hardly the instigator, given his mental disability).

Assuming that the car is insured, the policy covers this car and any damage caused by this car, so 19 yr old guy can get his car repaired/reimbursed for. To get any fair recourse from the 'friend' your parents need to report that the vehicle was taken and driven without their permission to the gardai. The best advice I can give you to pass on to your parents is ring the gardai and their insurance company asap.

In the event that the vehicle was not insured - 19 yr old guy will be settled thru his own policy, with his insurers acting as the MIBI. He may well look for the excess from your parents but, if your parents have reported this matter to the gardai - then there is no reason why the 'friend' would not be pursued directly.

Was your brother or anyone else injured as a result of this?

Last edited:
The "friend" is a local 17 year old who has recently started hanging out with my brother. He was driving the car when the accident occured but his father has stated if this goes to court he will sue my parents for the injuries his son recieved and say my brother bullyed him into driving it. My brother is a big child but if you even talked to him for a minute you would see he is not capable of bullying a normal 17 year old into anything. This boys girlfriend was also in the car but got out before the accident occured

The car was not taxed or insured as it was not road worthy and waiting to be collected by a garage.

Get your parents to report this straight away to the Gardai. It may esculate so it is better it is done now rather than them having to explain later.

No wonder that 17 year old is out of control if that's the attitude of his father! report this to the police and report that the car was stolen by this 17 year old. Your brother should not be held responsible given his age and disability and the father of that lad can threaten all he likes! He hasn't a leg to stand on, given that it was his son that stole and drove the car.

Any injuries that the 17 yr old received as a result of this accident are tough - there isn't a court in the land that will award him anything for being an idiot! As stated in previous post, get M & D to contact the local gardai immediately - 17 yr old's Dad is just trying to scare them into accepting responsibility for his son's actions.

He hasn't a leg to stand on, given that it was his son that stole and drove the car.

Agree. Report it to Guards or just leave it. Let the guy whose car was damaged take it further. His options are civil proceedings against the driver/your parents for damages to his car. So what if your brother did in fact take the car, the Gardai are unlikely to charge him with anything and a court is unlikely to award any monetary award against him but I'm not a solictor and you never know.

I don't think the owner of the car comes into it when there is no insurance but it might be worth checking that out further.

Thank you all for replying i have spoken with my mother who was going to take my brother to gaurds to make a statement. She rang the driver of the damaged car and now it seems he would just rather forget about the incident!!
Im going to try to persude her to go anyway because i find it very hard to believe that he would just give up when he wasnt in the wrong. Very strange.

Suspicious mind

But could the 17yr & Dad have bullied the 19yr into not claiming

OR

Are the 17yr old & 19yr old pals ?? Maybe looking to scam a few quid from your brother & parents. When the guards got mentioned they got cold feet

Back