Unathorized transaction

aneczka

I booked a hotel with my visa debit card yet I cancelled my visit. The hotel charged me nevertheless. As I don't authorize this transaction, does the bank have a duty to reverse it?

Did you get a confirmation back that you had cancelled it: maybe it was a fake site?

What has the hotel said?

The bank is not on the hook as, on the face of it, based on what you say, it is not, as yet , fraud, could be a mistake.

Was you cancellation in line with the hotel's cancellation policy? If not you may not be entitled to a refund. The bank can only reverse it once they are told to do so by the hotel. There will also be a delay of a few days for the refund to go through if you are entitled to it

Is it not enough to state that I don't authorize the transaction? I am considering cancelling my credit card altogether to be on the safe side. What will happen if I tell my bank I consider my card stolen? They have my card details and I don't like it.

I booked a hotel with my visa debit card yet I cancelled my visit. The hotel charged me nevertheless.
What was the cancellation policy of the booking? Some bookings are "non refundable" - did you book through the hotel itself or through a booking site?
Have you talked to the hotel in relation to this booking?

Is it not enough to state that I don't authorize the transaction? I am considering cancelling my credit card altogether to be on the safe side. What will happen if I tell my bank I consider my card stolen? They have my card details and I don't like it.
But you did authorise the transaction by supplying the details to the hotel. What is their cancellation policy? Normally they operate a scale from 100% refund to 100% charge depending on the cancellation notice you provide.

Reporting your card stolen when it wasn't could have serious consequences for you.

I booked a hotel with my visa debit card yet I cancelled my visit. The hotel charged me nevertheless. As I don't authorize this transaction, does the bank have a duty to reverse it?

You absolutely authorised this transaction and what happened between you and the hotel afterwards has nothing what so ever to do with the credit card company. Reporting your card stolen or lost as a means of avoiding paying off your balance could result in the Garda becoming involved should the credit card company decide to make a complaint against you.

You need to take this up with the hotel and the credit card company. If necessary you can make a complaint against the hotel to the card company. However if your cancellation was not in line with the hotel policy it will not go well for you.

And a word of advice, the card company are the professional at this game, they have heard all the stories before, so it is very likely that you will get caught if you try telling them a porky.

Back