Unable to get Unlock Code from O2

MANTO

I was an o2 customer for more than 10 years before i moved to 3 seven months agao. When i moved to 3 i got a new handset so I now have a spare Sony Ericsson Xperia x10.

I havent used the x10 since i moved to 3 and told my friend he could have it.

I requested the unlock code from O2 as my friend is also with 3, who advised they cannot send the code as I am not a registered O2 customer.

They advised i would need to register again....but....if i register the phone as Prepay, they will not send the Unlock code until i have purchased €150 worth of credit.

Surely they cant get away with this? They do not own my handset and as a customer of more than 10 years I was / am not, under any contractual obligations.

I know i can get it done in the city centre for €10 - €30 but why should i have to pay because 02 will not send me the unlock code?

Even if you were still a customer, they would probably charge you a fee. With 3 I asked to get my phone unlocked and they wanted to charge me 50 euro for it.

Its probably buried in their T&C's somewhere, they will try and make it harder for you to move from them.

I requested the unlock code from O2 as my friend is also with 3, who advised they cannot send the code as I am not a registered O2 customer.
Try posting here - I found them very helpful in getting a (legitimate!) 2nd hand phone unlocked recently even though neither I nor the seller (having moved from them) were O2 customers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479

Or just request the unlock online:

As with most or all providers usually you will have to have spent €150 in prepay credit or have completed a billpay contract with them in order to get a specific handset unlocked.

Try posting here - I found them very helpful in getting a (legitimate!) 2nd hand phone unlocked recently even though neither I nor the seller (having moved from them) were O2 customers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479

Or just request the unlock online:

As with most or all providers usually you will have to have spent €150 in prepay credit or have completed a billpay contract with them in order to get a specific handset unlocked.

Thanks for the replies, I will have a look on Boards.

I completed the online request and got a mail back advising i need to register as an O2 customer.

Maybe its just me, but i thought after being an O2 customer for more than 10 years i wouldnt have to register again and top up by €150 just to get the unlock code.

Ah sure, i am not surprised ;)

Back