UlsterBank eSavings Account

NavanMan1

Hi, just wondering if anybody here has an UlsterBank eSavings Account ? If so what do you think of it ?

Came across it a few weeks ago when I was exiting my Anytime online account. So applied online there & then as I thought it was a good idea to be able to switch excess cash from my current to a savings account online and earn 4%.

However since then have not heard a dicky bird from UlsterBank.

Hi, just wondering if anybody here has an UlsterBank eSavings Account ? If so what do you think of it ?

Came across it a few weeks ago when I was exiting my Anytime online account. So applied online there & then as I thought it was a good idea to be able to switch excess cash from my current to a savings account online and earn 4%.

However since then have not heard a dicky bird from UlsterBank.

I have one. I didn't have to deal with Ulster Bank directly to set it up. If you have online banking, you can to do it through that and takes a day or two. Not sure why you got the delay. Are you sure it went through. Not the best rate out there but you have easy access to funds with same day transfer to your current account so I find it handy for spare cash that I might not need for a couple of weeks etc. I use other places for large lump sums.

Last edited:
Hi Sunny,

Just like you, that's the reason I applied for the account online and yes I do have access to AnyTime Banking.

Agree with you that for large sums longer term, there are other routes. Have a RaboDirect Account online (5%) & an AngloIrishBank phone account (4.7%).

Guess if it only took you a few days to set up, better get on the blower to them and query if they even received my appliaction online.

Cheers,
NavanMan - Up the Royals

I prefer the esavings from FA: 5.22% CAR up to 15000 balance. Over it the rate goes down on the entire balance.

We already discussed that every application form goes into a "bumpy" ride but in my opinion every patience is satisfied at the end of the procedure...:)

I applied for one a week ago and it is still not set up. Did you get an email confirmation or something in the post saying it was set up? I rang the 24 hour banking and they did not seem to know how long they take to set up because they are an "online item."

I applied for one a week ago and it is still not set up. Did you get an email confirmation or something in the post saying it was set up? I rang the 24 hour banking and they did not seem to know how long they take to set up because they are an "online item."

No it just appeared as one of my registered accounts when online about two days later. This was about 5-6 weeks ago so maybe it had just started or something when I did it.

On another issue with Ulster Bank, has anyone seen the size of the keypad they sent out to access on-line banking. Its the size of a calculator! I travle quiet alot and now have to carry cards for Ulster, NIB and Rabo if I want to manage my accounts. I will be charged excess baggage soon.

I have one. Set it up during the recent run on NR. Despite the rate not being the very best (4.07% - equivalent to a FA eSavings above €15k) it's proving very convenient since I also have a UB current account. Transfers are instantaneous to and from it to the current account. The account lets you schedule payments out so I've started paying bills from it a few days before they become due so that I can get interest for a few days more.

Just an update on my application, its now three weeks since I applied online for a eSavings account and no sign of it appearing when I log onto UB Anytime.
When I phoned up to query the delay, the excuses I get were that the post between Dublin & Belfast is slow, then I was told that a few people in the Dept that deals with these applications are out with the flu, when I phone up again tomorrow, expect to hear that the dog has eat the application !!!!!!

Reminds me of when I applied for my Mortgage of them five years ago. Again delays, forms / paper being lost. At one stage the bank manager told me that the guy dealing with my application was out, apparently a drink problem. When they did issue the cheque, it was for 5K more than what I applied for

So it seems that Ulster Banks Service Levels for customers have not improved over the last five years.

Just as well I am just a personal customer, would hate to think what kind of mess they could create for Business customers

I am still waiting for mine to open as well, now two weeks on . . .
I received a form to fill in in the post last Thursday which I posted on Friday -- but still no sign of it online . . .

It sounds like the same story as with the First Active eSavings account. If you're an existing on-line customer it's easy and quick otherwise it's slow and inefficient.

Hi NavanMan1,
I'm also an existing anytime customer. I applied on-line, the next day the account appeared in the list and I made a transfer into it. A few days later I got a letter acknowledging account set-up. Zero hazzles. What's different for you that they're being slow?

Just an update on my online application for an eSavings Account, just off the phone from them and now they are telling me that they have not received back the signed application form in the post.
So it takes three weeks and four phone calls on my part to find this out. Have now applied again online and await them posting out another eSavings pack to me so that I can sign it and post it back to them.

If it does not work the second time, will just give up on Ulster and move everything over to Halifax, they must have better customer service, surely

I have just tried to open a/c on line. I am existing anytime customer. When i get to the end it aks me for weekly/ monthly amount. I thought i could make random lodgements and withdrawals. I didn't proceed then on that basis. Am I correct in thinking this?

Just an update on my online application for an eSavings Account, just off the phone from them and now they are telling me that they have not received back the signed application form in the post.
So it takes three weeks and four phone calls on my part to find this out. Have now applied again online and await them posting out another eSavings pack to me so that I can sign it and post it back to them.

If it does not work the second time, will just give up on Ulster and move everything over to Halifax, they must have better customer service, surely

Strange. I never had to sign anything and send it back it back to them. It was all done online when I logged into anytime banking

I have just tried to open a/c on line. I am existing anytime customer. When i get to the end it aks me for weekly/ monthly amount. I thought i could make random lodgements and withdrawals. I didn't proceed then on that basis. Am I correct in thinking this?

Just say 0. You can put in what you like when you like

I applied online as well but got an application form through the post which I had to sign. I also had to provide a copy of my passport and two proof of address documents, despite already being an Ulster Bank customer. It hasn't been the quickest of processes i must admit, but I also opened an onine savings a/c with First Active recently and that was pretty slow too.

When you apply for the account, one of the first questions you encounter will be something like... "Do you want to make regular payments into this account?". By this they mean, 'Do you want to set-up a standing order?'. It does not mean 'Do you want to make regular payments whenever you like into this account?'.

I know, it is probably a bit confusing, but if you want to try and apply again, just don't select this option and see how you go!

Back