Ulster Bank card reader

Is this a Chip & Pin card reader? Interesting - didn't think they were in Ireland yet. Do you have a link to any info - can't see it on their site.

Hi,

I got my card reader the other day. It's reassuring to know they've added this extra security feature.

Here's the link:

[broken link removed]

Very interesting - I knew these were coming in in the UK - presumably Ulsterbank are introducing these on the back of RBS's work. Thanks for the link.

I've had mine for a week but haven't had occasion to use it yet other than in the process to enable it.

Logging in still seems to be by a combination of characters from PIN and password.

Re: Ulster Bank / First Active card reader

Got a card from First Active today and they say they'll send the reader over the coming days.

What are people's experience using this? Is it practical?

I do my online banking from various PCs. Now I have to remember to bring the card and reader everywhere!

Are the levels of security already in place not sufficient i.e. Customer number, pin no & password?

I won't pass judgement until I get the reader, just wanted to know has it turned out to be a good tool?

I got both First Active card and reader in the same postal delivery this morning with the PIN to follow later.

It is the identical system to Ulster Bank's. You don't need the card and reader to check balances. You need the reader to set-up standing orders, direct debits, add payees or make once off payments. Here's a [broken link removed].

Is a reader unique to the user or can any card be used with any card reader?

Snap, I was just about to ask this question!

My partner and I both have the card reader there is nothing to distinguish between them so I assume they are interchangeable. The FAQ is silent on the matter.

i got the card today too. i hope i get the reader by the end of the week. i now have two readers. one for fa and one for ub.

I got the UB reader recently and have one already for Rabo (and another for FA). Quite honestly I find it all a little bit annoying. Too many gadgets. Banking used to be sooo easy!

I got the UB reader recently and have one already for Rabo (and another for FA). Quite honestly I find it all a little bit annoying. Too many gadgets. Banking used to be sooo easy!
Security and convenience are conflicting goals unfortunately. I'd put up with a reduction in the latter for an increase in the former myself.

Is a reader unique to the user or can any card be used with any card reader?

I did some on-line research and the answer appears to be that you can use any reader with your card. I tried putting my UB card in my FA reader and it accepted the PIN. I didn't make a full on-line transaction as I didn't have one to make.

The reader is a XIRING [broken link removed].

Xi-Sign 4000 uses the EMV card for all security functions and cryptographic calculations. No key or secret is stored in the Xi-Sign, which is therefore not personalized with user data and so is very easy to manage: no secure transport, replacement when lost.

i got the fa online banking card yesterday but am still waiting on the card reader. does the online banking card pin number come with this card reader or does it come separately?

Got the FA card yesterday and the reader today. There's no mention of any new PIN. It just says login using your existing details to enable the card reader access to your account. Note that the card is not and ATM/debit/cheque guarantee card (at least mine isn't).

Update: oops - just tried it and the reader does ask for a PIN so I'm stuck! :eek:

Back