UK VAT Query

tred

Hi,
I am considering buying a plant machine in UK. As I have a VAT number I pass this onto the seller in UK, and then I believe they pass the VAT onto HRM UK. What I want to know is how does Irish Government know I have payed this VAT onto UK?. Is therea communication between UK and Ireland revenue on the matter??. Maybe I am asking a silly question here, but i am just wondering.

Why are you paying UK VAT?

The UK supplier should zero rate the invoice and you should self account for the Irish VAT. The Irish Revenue will know about it because the UK supplier will list it (with your VAT number) in their vies/intrastat returns.

Why are you paying UK VAT?

The UK supplier should zero rate the invoice and you should self account for the Irish VAT. The Irish Revenue will know about it because the UK supplier will list it (with your VAT number) in their vies/intrastat returns.

Correct. He is zero rating it. so I pay him say 20K euros. And the VAT portion, he zero rates. When I return. What do I need to do. Do I need to take 21 percent of that 20K and return it to government from my funds?

On your Irish VAT return, you charge yourself VAT at 21% of the 20k. If you are entitled to a full VAT deduction, you also take a deduction for that 21% of the 20k.

On your Irish VAT return, you charge yourself VAT at 21% of the 20k. If you are entitled to a full VAT deduction, you also take a deduction for that 21% of the 20k.

Thanks, I think i get it now.

Back