Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Tiegan,
When did you send your form off? I sent mine March 25th and have received nothing yet snd still see nothing yet on the website.

Stitcher,
Wondering the same myself. My form was received by HMRC on 14/3/23 and still says ‘ in progress’ on checker .

Tiegan,
When did you send your form off? I sent mine March 25th and have received nothing yet snd still see nothing yet on the website.
Early April. Was in progress for the last month. Actually forgot about it so nice surprise to get. We have until April 2025 to pay back the outstanding contributions, so I wouldn't be too worried about the length of time it has taken. Also some applications are more straightforward than others. Fingers crossed for you all!

Just checked again now and finally they indicate it has been received (phew, thank goodness!), it is in progress and I can expect a reply by 30 Dec.

Just delighted I am in the system, I wondered if my application had gone astray.

Sign into your Government Gateway account then at top right click ‘my account’ followed by ‘check progress’ . It will show you the date correspondence received and present status.
Thanks for that Mags - I sent mine in March 23 and am relieved to see that they've received it.

Reference Number
Form typeOnline
Date received16/03/2023
StatusIN PROGRESS

Although I'm not too impressed by HMRC;s estimate of when I should receive a reply to my March 2023 NI contributions query:

You should have received a reply by
6 May 1965​

Although I'm not too impressed by HMRC;s estimate of when I should receive a reply to my March 2023 NI contributions query:

You should have received a reply by​

6 May 1965​

My mistake - it should have read:

You can expect a reply by
21 December 2023​

Sign into your Government Gateway account then at top right click ‘my account’ followed by ‘check progress’ . It will show you the date correspondence received and present status.
1702052586528.png

I'm guessing the Status will eventually change from 'Received' to 'In progress' when they actively start working on it. Still I'm glad to know they definitely received it as An Post never confirmed delivery despite the fact that I paid for tracking.

Last edited:
View attachment 8199

I'm guessing the Status will eventually change from 'Received' to 'In progress' when they actively start working on it. Still I'm glad to know they definitely received it as A Post never confirmed delivery despite the fact that I paid for tracking.
My form was received mid march 2023 and has been status ‘ in progress’ ever since . I’m expecting reply early in New Year

Mine only showed "In progress" this month despite sending on March 25th and and An Post saying it was "delivered" in April. Hence I never knew if it was really delivered or if it was somehow lost somewhere in between. It is such a relief to finally see it as "In progress". It was never listed as "received ".

Hi there

A little bit off topic of making contributions but we have both got confirmation that any contributions are paid up to date, so both so happy to have this pension for when we reach 67 - it will be greatly appreciated. A bit thank you to everyone for their help and sharing their knowledge, especially to DannyBoyD.

We are rewriting our will and gathering all our financial info together like bank account details, insurance policies etc etc.

If we die prematurely before reaching 67, and don't get to draw down this pension or when we die, is it of any value to anyone? Either the remaining spouse or any of our beneficiaries (our children)? If the answer is No (which I think it might be) I presume there is no need to include our UK NI number or anything like that in the paperwork for our Will. Is that correct?

Although I presume HMRC will have to be informed that we have passed away, so maybe it should be included?

Thanks

I didn't have the 3 years continuous work in uk to qualify on that basis. However they sent me back a reply saying I think that I could use work in EU country as a basis to qualify. They required proof of work in that country. So I sent my prsi record last march or thereabouts but have heard nothing since.
Has anyone else successfully used prsi record to make up the 3 years continuous work condition?

A big thank you to the ones who highlighted this option. I have been advised I can buy back at class 2. I decided to buy 4 years to start and wonder how long it takes to go on your record as you do not get any confirmation that it has been received.

A big thank you to the ones who highlighted this option. I have been advised I can buy back at class 2. I decided to buy 4 years to start and wonder how long it takes to go on your record as you do not get any confirmation that it has been received.
It can take 3 -4 months for the payment allocation process to be completed but you can ring the National Insurance line on 0044 191 2037010 and they can confirm receipt of your payment fairly quickly. The allocation process though is another ballgame.

I didn't have the 3 years continuous work in uk to qualify on that basis. However they sent me back a reply saying I think that I could use work in EU country as a basis to qualify. They required proof of work in that country. So I sent my prsi record last march or thereabouts but have heard nothing since.
Has anyone else successfully used prsi record to make up the 3 years continuous work condition?
Yes. I qualified for Class 3 contributions on this basis.

From what I read in this thread they are horribly delayed in replying to all correspondence.

Yes. I qualified for Class 3 contributions on this basis.

From what I read in this thread they are horribly delayed in replying to all correspondence.
Thanks for that, can you explain how it works. For example if you had 2 years contributions in uk do they take 1 year's prsi contribution to qualify for the 3 year's minimum requirement?
If you are using prsi contributions to qualify for UK pension are they then not available for irish pension?

Back