Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Nope, nothing to do with DSP here.

You will have to pay income tax in the usual way.
Is that strictly correct? If one does not qualify for the max Irish state contributory pension (eg not enough contributions under TCA calculation method) is it not to one‘s advantage to inform DSP of UK NICs History?

Is that strictly correct? If one does not qualify for the max Irish state contributory pension (eg not enough contributions under TCA calculation method) is it not to one‘s advantage to inform DSP of UK NICs History?
The premise of this entire thread is to ensure folks know how to continue voluntary NICs so as to claim the UK state pension when they come to retirement age.

If you don't have sufficient contributions to claim the ROI state pension, that is a different question.

The premise of this entire thread is to ensure folks know how to continue voluntary NICs so as to claim the UK state pension when they come to retirement age.

If you don't have sufficient contributions to claim the ROI state pension, that is a different question.
Where in this forum is there discussion of that question in relation to having UK contributions and an inadeqate number of ROI contributions?

Trying to set up a Government Gateway account for my wife. It wont accept her passport because its in her Married name.
Has anybody had similar problem and how did you get around it ?

I believe there was an earlier post where someone had a similar issue & a phone call to DWP sorted it.

Trying to set up a Government Gateway account for my wife. It wont accept her passport because its in her Married name.
Has anybody had similar problem and how did you get around it ?
I have this problem. I phoned them to try to update my details over the phone but they said they couldn’t do it by phone as they had insufficient information to verify my identity. They advised me to write outlining my updates to :
Pay As You Earn Self Assessment
HM Revenue & Customs
BX9 1ES

They told me they didn’t need to see my marriage certificate as a letter would be sufficient. My letter appears to have been stuck in Heathrow for over a month so I can’t confirm yet if this will work.

The online gateway offers a convenient method to look up to contributions etc., but the important part is the CF83 form. Get that completed and posted first, include a cover letter re name change on marriage if you wish.

The online gateway offers a convenient method to look up to contributions etc., but the important part is the CF83 form. Get that completed and posted first, include a cover letter re name change on marriage if you wish.
Thanks for the replies. Ill send of the CF83 and start from there.

I submitted my CF83 form in early March - when I checked up a few weeks ago I was given a date in October by which time it would be processed. More recently when I checked I was given a date of 26 July - however I checked again yesterday and my new date is now in December. Anyone else experience this?

Would it be possible to pay these contributions from Ireland by using Wise? My multi-currency account gives me a UK account number, sort code and IBAN.

I submitted my CF83 form in early March - when I checked up a few weeks ago I was given a date in October by which time it would be processed. More recently when I checked I was given a date of 26 July - however I checked again yesterday and my new date is now in December. Anyone else experience this?
I sent my CF83 off on 13 March 23. No word back from them yet. Emailed them to enquire about progress and got a standard uninformative reply. I'm not panicking.

Would it be possible to pay these contributions from Ireland by using Wise? My multi-currency account gives me a UK account number, sort code and IBAN.
referenced in key post

my offer of a prize for someone who posts a question that is not yet answered has still to be claimed ;)

Same here. Applied end of May. Original date was January 2024, then was brought forward to August 2023, now back to January 2024 again.

No worries. More time to save!

Here is an update from someone further down the road. Both my wife and I paid for 16 missing years each about a year ago and we can see the additional years reflected on our individual records by logging on with the Government Gateway ID. Also the estimated and forecast weekly pension amounts.

We have now each paid an additional annual contribution (Class 2) for tax year 2022-2023. We did this for both records using the same payment method on 20th May. (We plan to do this annually until we reach the maximum estimated weekly pension.)

The odd thing is that although my wife’s record is updated online with the extra tax year .....mine is not. Judging by other peoples’ experiences I hope I don‘t have to go chasing around for the misssing payment!

Last edited:
I was thinking of retiring at age 64. Will I have to pay the Class 3 rate in U.K. voluntary contributions for those two years to age 66 as I’m no longer paying PRSI in an EU country?

I was thinking of retiring at age 64. Will I have to pay the Class 3 rate in U.K. voluntary contributions for those two years to age 66 as I’m no longer paying PRSI in an EU country?
I think the answer is yes .....if not drawing an income and therefore not paying PRSI. I’m working on the assumption that retiring at 61 and drawing a pension (and paying PRSI) I can still pay NICs at class 2 up to age 67.

Referring to my post yesterday, my wife and I got a bill (or demand) from HMRC to pay the NICs for tax year 2022 to 2023. This was at class 2 rates without any enquiry being made if we were still paying PRSI in Ireland. I assume they used the class 2 rates because that’s what we had been paying all along.

It begs the question does HMRC do any checks (on eligibility to pay Class 2) either at payment of (NICs) stage or before one begins to draw down the UK a state pension?

does HMRC do any checks (on eligibility to pay Class 2) either at payment of (NICs) stage
The determination for your eligibility for class 2 is completed at the time you elect to pay voluntary contributions, as evidenced by the information that is requested by DWP.

What class are you paying currently?

Back