Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Having got as far as the online pensions forecast. It say says 'you can make up the shortfall' with details.

Do I need to complete the CF83 form, or can I just make the payments. Thanks

Paying voluntary NIC at class 2 is massive value.

You spend GBP 163.80 once-off to buy one year, and you get 275 per year extra pension each year!!

Last edited:
Hi all .. thanks for the help in this thread, thanks to ask about money advice I applied for class 2 contributions last August and finally got my letter through confirming I can pay back class 2 ( I had 19 years contributions)
Anyone who has received this letter..did you pay the backdated payments via your Irish bank account? There are instructions on the website how to pay back from an overseas account..but I am a bit nervous of doing this esp when I think there is a limit on my account what I can pay someone for the first time?
How did people go about paying back the shortfall?

Thanks

There are instructions on the website how to pay back from an overseas account..but I am a bit nervous of doing this esp when I think there is a limit on my account what I can pay someone for the first time?
I doubt you will run into issues making the payment.

The money laundering risk is more at the recipient end and that account gets tens of thousands of payments from all over the world every week so I doubt is anything will be blocked.

I've just registered and it seems that I have 7 full years though I was only there for less than 4. Anyway, I think the next step is to fill in the form and post it..am I right in thinking there's no email facility?
Also some of my employment history in Ireland was a bit chequered..Will this affect how much I can contribute? Thanks so much for your help and advice on this matter.

I've just registered and it seems that I have 7 full years though I was only there for less than 4. Anyway, I think the next step is to fill in the form and post it..am I right in thinking there's no email facility?
Yep - envelope & a stamp. Given how long they are taking to reply, I would send by recorded delivery.
Also some of my employment history in Ireland was a bit chequered..Will this affect how much I can contribute? Thanks so much for your help and advice on this matter.
Won't make any difference, as long as you worked when you moved / returned to Ireland you can pay class 2, otherwise it might be class 3

This thread got very unwieldy so I have moved some of the discussions into separate threads - please do not ask about these issues in this thread.

If you ask about these issues in this thread, your question will be deleted.

UK State Pension - finding their online system difficult to navigate

How do I get assistance on the website? I'm trying to register the gov gateway but when I get to the identity part, after it says international passport, on the next page it's UK passport only.
www.askaboutmoney.com

UK State pension - Am I class 2 or Class 3

How much does it cost to make a voluntary contribution? Most common is either Class 2 or Class 3 contributions: Class 2 will be cheaper, but even if you are assessed as Class 3 it's still worth doing. Class 2 Annually: £163.80 (GBP) - £3.15 per week Class 3 Annually: £824.20 (GBP) - £15.85 per...
www.askaboutmoney.com

"I am 50 should, I make Class 3 contributions to UK pension?"

Class 3 is still worth paying for most people. Each year will cost you £824 Each year purchased will get you an extra £275 a year in state pension and the £275 increases with inflation. If you are 65, getting an immediate return of £275 a year on £824 is great value. You will break even in 4...
www.askaboutmoney.com

Could the rules change before the UK pension is drawn down?

Everything in this discussion assumes that the rules won't change. If you are 65, it's unlikely that the rules will change before you qualify for the pension. but if you are 30 they might well do. Would the UK re-joining the EU change the ability to qualify for two pensions? The UK could...
www.askaboutmoney.com

What is the state pension age in the UK?

You can retire when ever you want but UK state pension pays out at age 67. To answer your Q2. Yes it applies and cost per year is posted in the key post. State pension age in the UK is currently 66, and will still be 66 for at least the next three years.

Hi all .. thanks for the help in this thread, thanks to ask about money advice I applied for class 2 contributions last August and finally got my letter through confirming I can pay back class 2 ( I had 19 years contributions)
Anyone who has received this letter..did you pay the backdated payments via your Irish bank account? There are instructions on the website how to pay back from an overseas account..but I am a bit nervous of doing this esp when I think there is a limit on my account what I can pay someone for the first time?
How did people go about paying back the shortfall?

Thanks

Yep - envelope & a stamp. Given how long they are taking to reply, I would send by recorded delivery.

Won't make any difference, as long as you worked when you moved / returned to Ireland you can pay class 2, otherwise it might be class 3
DannyBoyD, do you know if its correct that if your CF38 form plus cover letter are received before the July deadline, then you will be able to make the back payments going back as far as 2006? I will have to wait for their reply before I know if I am assessed as Cat 2 or Cat3, and therefore can't make any payments until that is confirmed. In my case, judging by other posts, this will be well beyond the July deadline. Thanks

DannyBoyD, do you know if its correct that if your CF38 form plus cover letter are received before the July deadline, then you will be able to make the back payments going back as far as 2006? I will have to wait for their reply before I know if I am assessed as Cat 2 or Cat3, and therefore can't make any payments until that is confirmed. In my case, judging by other posts, this will be well beyond the July deadline. Thanks
Credit to @NoRegretsCoyote : Ministerial statement is here

Thanks again Ive just sent my letter applying for class 2. Do I pay class 2 now, wait until I get a reply or do I pay class 3? Also can someone direct me to where I can pay please or the details?

1. wait
2. don't pay until you hear back
3. as long as you've applied before the deadline they will honour that.
4. at the risk of being called grumpy - read the other posts.

Thanks again Ive just sent my letter applying for class 2. Do I pay class 2 now, wait until I get a reply or do I pay class 3? Also can someone direct me to where I can pay please or the details?
I applied to pay class 2 last year, got my letter of them accepting my application in June last year. Like others here it wasn't clear how I needed to pay. Anyhow, finally got around to contacting them in the last two weeks to find out as I was never sent or was given this 18 digit number reference number and after speaking to someone they told me the 18 digit number in my case was my UK NI number plus 'IC' and then a few letters of my surname and I could do it by bank transfer and did it by Revolut. The person said if I got all paid up I could increase my forecast (due in 2025) by about £80 per week. Also she said she'd put notes on my case to update my forecast with a letter and a receipt of my payment etc so hopefully that'll all work out...

When I sent my payment via Revolut, I put my NI number followed the letters "IC" followed by my full surname and lastly the first letter of my christian name so for example somebody called John Smith with a NI number of NY123407C would enter NY123407CICSMITHJ as the reference. I rang a couple of weeks after sending the money and told them which years the payment was for and they updated the system.

Back