UK State Pension - finding their online system difficult to navigate

colin79ie

How do I get assistance on the website? I'm trying to register the gov gateway but when I get to the identity part, after it says international passport, on the next page it's UK passport only.

Can you put up a screen shot (mask any personal info)
Not sure if I'm able to post screenshots but it lets me log in with my user ID etc, then asks for NI number. Next page asks for a code from pension app.
When I click 'other form of identity ' it gives me examples such as international or UK passport, P60 etc.
However, when I click continue, it doesn't have the international passport option, just UK and DVLA license etc.
Screenshot_2023-03-14-10-42-33-522_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-14-10-42-19-621_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-14-10-41-58-575_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-14-10-41-24-625_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding it hard to see exactly what step you are at

start from here: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Click 'Start now'

then under

New users of Government Gateway​

click on : Create sign in details

It will ask you for an email address, they email you a code and then you put that in to validate your address.

after that (and I'm working from memory) you'll be asked for your name, dob and National insurance number; as well as a mobile number on which they will send you a code (irish mobile is fine)

edit: it's much easier to do this on a laptop/pc than a mobile phone

have you got that far?

Last edited:
Finding it hard to see exactly what step you are at

start from here: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Click 'Start now'

then under

New users of Government Gateway​

click on : Create sign in details

It will ask you for an email address, they email you a code and then you put that in to validate your address.

after that (and I'm working from memory) you'll be asked for your name, dob and National insurance number; as well as a mobile number on which they will send you a code (irish mobile is fine)

have you got that far?
Yes, I got that far. It didn't give me a mobile option, it used an authenticator app. That was yesterday.
I have logged in today to carry on, and it won't go any further. I'm only at the part where I'm looking for my NI records .

Yes, exactly what I did and it got there in the end.
Turns out I have 9 full years up to 2022 and 5 part years, all going back to 2009.

Trying to log on to the site but the mobile app wont recognize my passport even though it does have a chip it wont scan? Anyone else have this problem logging on and is there another work around?

1678892036253.png

It might take a few attempts, I had to faff about a bit, but as long as you have a biometric passport it will work.

They give you other options to confirm your id, but passport is fastest.

check your phone as well - I have a memory there might be a setting you need to turn on.

Trying to log on to the site but the mobile app wont recognize my passport even though it does have a chip it wont scan? Anyone else have this problem logging on and is there another work around?

View attachment 7351
You need to choose the top option here, if you are using an Irish passport. I set up the identity check appp easily, but that then rejected my details 4 times and then accepted them on the fifth try, two days later. For no reason I could see, either way.

You need to choose the top option here, if you are using an Irish passport. I set up the identity check appp easily, but that then rejected my details 4 times and then accepted them on the fifth try, two days later. For no reason I could see, either way.

View attachment 7351
I chose the top option and it worked first time for me, including the Passport chip scan. Did you try it with your phone cover removed? Sometimes a heavy cover can interfere with the NFC scan

I am not getting the text to my mobile to verify the step to authenticate my passport info. Someone mentioned about having to 'switch something on on the phone'. Has anyone any idea what that might be? Thanks

I am not getting the text to my mobile to verify the step to authenticate my passport info. Someone mentioned about having to 'switch something on on the phone'. Has anyone any idea what that might be? Thanks
NFC I believe; some folks recommend removing your phone cover if it's a very thick one.

Ok dumb question here, I have my gateway number but cannot get as far as the passport verification. When I enter my name, dob and NI number - it tells me it cannot verify it and then lots me out after 5 attempts. I know I have the right details as I have my old tax documents. Am I right in thinking there is some database error and I will have to try phoning??

Future 101, I had same issue but tried again the other day and sailed through it. Give it another go another day.

Hi all. Is anyone having difficulty creating a Gateway ID? I do not have a UK passport or UK drivers license to prove my identity. Is there a work around for this? I did manage to request my NI record over the phone and they will post to me. It would be nice to have access to this system anyway.

Ive been trying to sign in to GOV.UK without success .....
getting access code on my phone ok but
Its asking for my address but doesnt recognise an irish postcode...
should I give the last UK address I lived at ?

Ive been trying to sign in to GOV.UK without success .....
getting access code on my phone ok but
Its asking for my address but doesnt recognise an irish postcode...
should I give the last UK address I lived at ?
Have you validated your identity w. biometric passport?

Back