UK Resident – Ireland Ordinarily Resident – which Tax Form?

Today, Revenue finally replied to my original email of 2nd May. The Revenue web site says: “We will reply to 80% of items in clear and comprehensive terms within 20 working days”, and today is ... 20 days later!

Dear James,
As you are ordinarily resident you are liable on income and gains from all sources. You do need to complete a Form 11. You would be liable to Irish tax on world income with the following exceptions:

Atrade or profession which is carried on outside Ireland
An employment exercised outside Ireland or
Foreign investment income less than €3810

You are entitled to the normal tax credits and reliefs but they are appaortioned according to your income, the calculation is as follows:

Total credits/reliefs x (income taxable in ireland / total world income)

If you have any further queries do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards
South County Customer Services

With the above, and Bazermc's input, I now have the information I need.

James

Im an Irish person. Bought a new house in ireland in may 2007, have an irish mortgage and savings in irish bank.
Moved to UK to work for a company and now paying tax in uk.
I return hoem regularly.

Can I get mortgage relief on my mortgage?
Do I make irish tax return?....which form?
Do I make a uk tax return or just allow my company to deduct income tax?
Can I get rent a room relief on my home in ireland?

Thanks. Hope someone can clarify

och aye,

According to Irish Revenue, upon moving to the UK, you are Ordinarily Resident in the UK for the 1st three years, then Non-Resident thereafter. Did you complete a UK form to declare your residency and domicile status? If you like, I can get the form name and number for you.

Can I get mortgage relief on my mortgage?
If you mean UK relief on the Irish mortgage, best phone UK Revenue - they are very helpful.

Do I make Irish tax return?....which form?
Only if you have Irish income, e.g. savings interest from Irish banks, rental income. The normal form.

Do I make a UK tax return or just allow my company to deduct income tax?
I presume you pay UK tax as a PAYE employee. If you have Irish income, this should be declared to UK Revenue, so you may need to complete the 'Foreign Pages' section of the UK tax form. I may be able to advise you further, as I do this.

Can I get rent a room relief on my home in ireland?
If you are working and living in the UK, then you don't normally live in your Irish house (even if you return home regularly), so your Irish home is not your principal residence and room relief would not be available.

James

Hi Jamesuk

Many thanks.
No I did nt complete a uk form to declare residency as I intended only to stay for short period.
I understood that if I have been resident in Ireland for previous three years I would be regarded as an Irish resident for tax purposes, ( ie resident, ordinarly resident, domiciled not sure of proper tax title )
I wish to avail of Irish tax relief on Irish mortgage as I presume reliefs are higher, esp for first time buyers)
Yes will have Irish income, Irish bank interest, some dividends, rent a room or short term nightly budget rate income from rooms. I probably need to show this on an Irish tax return ( maybe Form 11, self emplyed income?)

Yes I pay UK tax as a paye employee.

Just an idea: if i made a tax return on F11 on my irish and uk income, how would my uk tax be paid to uk revenue?

Thanks
och aye

och aye,

When I moved to the UK in 2004, I discussed some tax issues on this forum. I received some good advice, but also 'opinions'. Problem is telling these apart, as you don't want to make mistakes, which could be costly. You need reliable information, either from revenue themselves, or from an accountant.

Would you be happy to discuss this briefly by phone?

I am not an accountant, just a tax payer!

James

Hi James

Many thanks. Sorry about delay in replying but ive been away.

Thanks for offer of phone chat which I be glad to do but I need to get a number of basics sorted with revenue, paye status etc. and then we caan chat.
I see what you mean by getting different views, can be confusing.

It does appear that you can get rent a room if you are ordinarly resident in ireland but resident and working in uk....irish house is still your home.
Not sure yet if I can get mortage relief on my irish mortgage from my irish bank? I think I can on same basis it is possible.
Also if you are PAYE it is treated different than self employed re reliefs.

So basically Im
Ordinarliy resident in ireland - i can make irish tax return
resident and working ( paye ) in uk
want to know can I get irish mortgage relief against my uk income ?
want to know can i get rent a room relief on my irish house ( home)
Not sure re treatment of national ins
or pension payment s
or isa ac/s

Thanks again

och aye

och aye,

It does appear that you can get rent a room if you are ordinarly resident in ireland but resident and working in uk....irish house is still your home.

I'm surprised at this - thought you had to be actually living in the house with the room to rent!

Thanks for offer of phone chat which I be glad to do but I need to get a number of basics sorted with revenue, paye status etc. and then we caan chat.

A chat earlier may benefit you - I can tell you of my experience with same, and ISAs - but please don't phone until next week - busy for rest of this week!

James

Back