Uk inheritance tax

hazelgreen

I have inherited from my mother who lived in UK. Tax was paid on her estate to HMRC. I am one of three residual beneficiaries, two of which live in Ireland. Can I offset my tax liability by claiming one third of the UK tax paid? or do I pay as if she were living in this country when she died? The different systems of taxation between the countries are confusing. My father died over 12 yrs ago and a small amount was left to me at that stage. Is that to be added in now or is there a time limit on including such legacies?

I have inherited from my mother who lived in UK. Tax was paid on her estate to HMRC. I am one of three residual beneficiaries, two of which live in Ireland. Can I offset my tax liability by claiming one third of the UK tax paid? or do I pay as if she were living in this country when she died? The different systems of taxation between the countries are confusing.
Any use?

My father died over 12 yrs ago and a small amount was left to me at that stage. Is that to be added in now or is there a time limit on including such legacies?
For the purposes of assessing any group A CAT liability? Yes.

There are some clear and fundamental differences between the tax laws of Ireland and the UK. Consequently, where an individual is considering their estate planning and there is a cross-border dimension due to the domicile and/or residence of the individual or beneficiaries, or the acquisition of assets abroad, great care needs to be taken and legal and taxation advice should be obtained, as the advice will differ in each case based on the particular circumstances of the individual.

I have set out some considerations
In this post that may be of assistance

Back