Uk Fuel allowance 2014

partnership

After reading about someone in Ireland being able to apply for the winter fuel allowance last year if they were getting a uk pension I applied for my mother in law and she received it for last winter. She has now received a letter saying that the decision was made in error and she is not entitled to the allowance because she does not have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK social security system. She lived in the UK for a number of years and worked there as did her husband, all her children were born there. She is getting a small pension from the UK

They came back to Ireland prob in the 70's (need to check).

The letter says she can appeal. Is it worth appealing? What constitutes a genuine and sufficient link?

Yep. I sent off for a relative living here, heard nothing back yet.

I advised many friends and relatives of the UK fuel allowance and all of those who applied got it.

I will check around and see if any of them got a similar letter as yours. Hope not!!

I applied for the first time last year, and this year's allowance went into our account very recently. We left UK in 1981, but do have siblings there still - must be a sufficient link.

They don't ask on the forms if you have folks in the UK. It all seems rather haphazard.

Does anyone know how much you are supposed to get?

I just noticed a payment of 12 euro appear in the bank. Seems rather small.

It would be £200, about €239.
That €12 could be your £10 Christmas bonus.

That does not apply in this case.

It is very odd that no letter has issued from Newcastle, but then again we only got a pension statement dated November 12, on the 27th. UK post is very slow indeed.

This has nothing to do with the speed of the post. You will notice that many department letters are dated and appear to lie on desks or trays until they are posted in bulk.

Back