UK Debt collecting solicitor

Happy_Harry

A UK solicitor sent me a letter claiming GBP 800 to an address I haven't lived at for 3 years. The creditor is a student loan institute (EU - not Ireland or UK) where I do have a loan outstanding and where I might have defaulted in the past.
For the past 3 years however I have informed the creditor of my change of address on 3 occasions and they have sent me statements to all 3 addresses and I have made several installments.
I have no idea why this solicitor would send me mail to such an old address. Also they don't include a breakdown of the 800 GBP, other than stating 135 GBP would have been added to my initial debt.
Why has the original creditor never let me know I owe them so much ? I have never received a letter about defaults of more than 2 months, and I would have paid it then incl 9 euro late fee.
Why have they hired a UK solicitor and not an Irish one ? Why are they threatening me with additional cost under a UK Act ? I have never been subject to UK law , have I ?

Can they (and are they likely to) instigate legal action ?
I will, once again, contact the creditor, but I am afraid that will lead to no response , they are very bureaucratic.
Why would the solicitor not include a breakdown or a bank account, so I could pay, although I don't think I will. I might just ask the creditor what the outstanding amount is and pay it off - they might just be able to find that information for me:). The reason I did not pay it off in full before is 2.8 % APR until 2008

Back