UK and Ireland Tax back questions

garythegreat

Im leaving the UK next week to return to Dublin and then on to do some travelling. Ive worked here since April and have earned approx £14k, am i entitled to any tax refunds? Anyone know how to go about doing it? Anyone got a rough estimate of what kind of money i'll get, cos if its only a few quid it would hardly be worth the hassle.

Also as I worked In Ireland till April this year, would i be due any tax refund for that, considering its likely to be febuary before I work in ireland again?

Thanks for your help!

It is likely that you did not break Irish residence, and therefore will be taxable in Ireland on the income you earned in the UK.

It is also likely that you would not be treated as UK resident under the double tax treaty, and would be due a refund of UK tax paid.

In this situation you should definitely take professional advice as the issues are complex, and claims to be made under the treaty.

Thanks for that Domo, thought it was going to be a lot more straight forward than that.

I tried getting onto taxback.com but it wouldnt load.

TBH i was just going to send in the forms to both the UK tax people and the Irish revenue, let them figure it out. I actually wasnt going to say anything about me working in the UK to the Revenue but im sure they can find out.

As self-assessment is mandatory in both Ireland and the UK, it is your responsibility to file correct returns - not just send the information to them to sort out.

Please seek professional advice.

Thanks Domo, to seek professional advice though will take a massive chunk of my tax income. So i have to get an accountant to sort this out? Its ot even that much money, were talking tax on £14k and 6keuro

Surley there must be a more straight forward way of doing this, im sure loads of people have worked over here for half a year and then gone back to Ireland.

Back