UB, PTSB to replacing LASER with Visa Debit

Could someone tell me what exactly is the difference between laser and visa debit please? My AIB laser can be used to buy goods and services, for cashback and cash withdrawals. But maybe not everywhere in the world, is that the difference?

I know laser works for me in EU for purchases and cash, and in the US for cash.

theres very little difference between the two, the main one being that you now get payment protection in the same way you would with a credit card. you can use it in store, online, for cash both in ireland and abroad and you should be able to get cashback. there have been issues with aceptability in RoI especially with regards cashback, but this was mainly due to retailer systems being out of date. most of these issues have now been ironed out, but you may still have problems with smaller retailers. a lot of the time the issues are with staff training to recognise the difference between visa debit and visa credit

Can anyone advise whether the Visa Debit can be used everywhere there is a Visa sign or do they specifically have to state that they take Visa Debit? Reason I ask is I am going abroad for 6 months, was going to get a credit card, but maybe the debit card will do instead.

You should be able to do this as the transaction is over the standard visa network but just ends up at your current account instead of credit account.

However - you may have difficulties booking hotels or car hire where they attempt to reserve an amount/deposit against a booking cancellation or leaving without paying or car return issues, so probably best to go with both!

Some interesting points on the wiki article too : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card

Last edited:
I've never experienced any problems using my Visa debit card for hotel bookings or car hire.

Supervalue wont give me cash back on my new UB Visa Debit card.
Supervalu have changed their system and now offer cash back on the Visa Debit card. Some operators have to be convinced that it is in fact a Debit card since it has the Visa logo on it.

Car hire is a big no no with these debit cards. Certainly Hertz would not accept a visa debit card in the USA.

The last of series of the BBC's "Watch Dog (incorporating Rogue Traders)" exposed these Visa Debit Cards as being the worst possible way to exchange money for UK customers on holiday overseas (the best was a pre loaded credit card). I wonder does the same go for irish customers in Poland etc?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the same governemnt levy will apply to Visa debit cards as normal credit cards etc. As far as I'm aware the levy on laser is €10 instead of the €40 on credit cards.

Thank you.

No the charge is only a fiver or a tenner....not sure exactly..credit cards are around €30

edit:

• ATM card: €2.50
  • Debit (Laser) card: €2.50
  • Combined ATM and debit card: €5

Does Visa Debit operate the same as a laser ie money taken from your current account same day or will it be sent as a bill like regular visa
thanks
d

My Laser card has just been replaced by a Visa Debit card. In the literature enclosed, one of the features attributed to the new card is a protection against a supplier going bust or an internet shopping transaction going wrong. This is an improvement on the Laser/Maestro arrangement. I have had the unfortunate experience of being left high and dry with a failed internet purchase with Maestro.

My Laser card has just been replaced by a Visa Debit card. In the literature enclosed, one of the features attributed to the new card is a protection against a supplier going bust or an internet shopping transaction going wrong. This is an improvement on the Laser/Maestro arrangement. I have had the unfortunate experience of being left high and dry with a failed internet purchase with Maestro.

Did this happen automatically? Or did you apply? Which bank was it? I'm with Ulster Bank and still no sign of a VISA debit - I'm still using the Laser which expires next May.

Back