UB discontinuing secondary credit card in January

ajapale

I have banked exclusively with UB since 1976 and my parents since the early 1950's so their exit is proving to be particularly wrenching for us. Our experience with UB over the years as been overwhelmingly positive.

UB have informed us that they they will be closing down our secondary credit card in early January. We use this facility to minimize the annual stamp duty. We have only one account and pay it off in full every month automatically from our UB current account.

Forgive me if my question is somewhat naïve but what is the best alternative cc? do they allow a secondary card? and is it possible to replicate my current arrangement to pay off the balance in full every month automatically?

aj

I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that due to two factor authentication requirements, authorised users/second cards would no longer be allowed. Don't quote me on that though.

I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that due to two factor authentication requirements, authorised users/second cards would no longer be allowed. Don't quote me on that though.

That’s what it says in the letter they sent. Does this mean it will apply for all card issuers then?

That’s what it says in the letter they sent. Does this mean it will apply for all card issuers then?
Avant still offers up to three additional cardholders per account. They might use different card numbers though, just the one account. Essentially sharing the credit limit.
With UB, it was the exact same card number (different name only).

Thanks for the replies. I appears that with UB exiting the market they just couldn't be bothered dealing with the new regulations.

Its interesting about AVANT, does the second card have the same functionality as the first? Any know does AIB or BoI offer the second card facility?

Equally If I move to a new provider can I set it up to automatically pay off the balance in full each month from a current account as I have with UB?

BiN

AIB offers an authorised user but I don't have a second card so can't say from experience if it works in practice. I only kept it as after leaving Ireland it became free (no stamp duty) so it's a back up card only. My AIB card gets paid off in full every month by direct debit from my German current account so I'm sure the answer to your final question is "yes".

Back