Two jobs

Hamek

Hi all,
a friend of mine wants to know if it's legal to work two full time jobs at the same time. The hours wont clash and one wont affect the other. However he wants to know if he's allowed to do this by law. Does anyone know? Many Thanks.

Most job contracts that I've seen state that you shouldn't have any other employment or should notify the company if you do.
Does he have a contract? Legally I don't know but you should be able to find more on the citizens information website... hope that helps...

Most job contracts that I've seen state that you shouldn't have any other employment or should notify the company if you do...
I can't say I've ever seen this in a contract, but I have seen clauses relating to "conflict" with the employer's interests or "interference" with the execution of the employee's duties.

If you mean two full time jobs is 2 X 39 hours per week on an ongoing bases then the law says your friend can not do this...S/he would be breaking the working time act.

We have a clause in our contracts referring to the limits outlined in the EWTD which is 48 per week I think.

Law or no law working 78 per week would not be possible in the long term.

Having worked two full time jobs for well over a year I can tell you that the limit per week is 68 hours and that you're required to have one entire day off per 7 or something to that effect (according to the working time act). However, having said all I was working anything up to 85hour weeks both employers knew this and both chose to turn a blind eye. I was later told by my union rep that if something were to happen to me either at work or say for example I had a car accident that my insurance might not have covered me as they could claim I was over tired from working illiegal hours, don't know how true that is however it's something to investigate.

48 hours per week worked out on average over a 3 month period is the limit so I dont think that working 2 full time jobs is allowed. Im not sure if anyone monitors this though.
You're not supposed to work more than 13 hours in a shift and have at least 11 hours between shifts but I know lads in the army that work 24 hour shifts on watch.
The 48 hour rule may be to stop people being made into slaves against tehir will but if they want to do it I reckon its overlooked!

Thanks for your replies. Turned out l got it a little wrong. What he really wants to do is work his "Full Time" job during the week and get a "Part Time" job for the weekend. He's just a little concerned as to whether or not he can do this. l m not sure myself if this is allowed, hence my throwing it open for suggestions/opinions.

Fine Gael's Leo Varadkar manages to hold down a job as a GP and a TD so it must be allowed. ....and one of his jobs is very important and actually involves helping people.

Thanks for your replies. Turned out l got it a little wrong. What he really wants to do is work his "Full Time" job during the week and get a "Part Time" job for the weekend. He's just a little concerned as to whether or not he can do this. l m not sure myself if this is allowed, hence my throwing it open for suggestions/opinions.

Dont see why not , plenty of people have 2 jobs . Dont forget thought that the 2nd job will be fully taxed as tax free allowance will have gone on full time job

What happens if the 2nd job is self employed ??? i have a full time day job but run my own business as well. Its about 70 hrs per week most weeks with both jobs.

It's OK if you are self employed. The law is only there to protect the stupid ignorant working classes from the evil and soulless employers.:rolleyes:

Maybe when our legislators realise that this is the 21st century and not the 1860's they will cop onto themselves...

Back