Tv programme complaint

Jumpstartdublin

does anyone know how complaints system works for RTE. see complaint lodged in newspaper today about recent Late Late Show episode.

I think Gerry Ryan ate a live lamb on air once. Is this related to that?
The "Lambo" incident has obviously gained a lot of traction over the years!! Poor old Gerry would be delighted to now that this is still remembered!

Jumpstart.

It was not a pet lamb, it was a lamb getting tagged to be grown for market.
On the show it explained that this is not overly stressful nor hurts said lamb (nor should it)
Ask any vet etc and they will confirm this .

As an aside.
Most farm reared animals last a lot longer and have a much better life with Mr Farmer than trying to avoid the talons of (mother) nature.

Hi Jumpstart

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland have Guidelines.

The only grounds for complaint is that the programme was in breach of these guidelines.

I presume your complaint would come under Programme Standards

upload_2016-2-25_18-20-10.png

You make your complaint first to RTE under the RTE Complaints Process

If you are not satisfied with their response, you can complain directly to the BAI or you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by someone more senior to the Producer of the programme.

As far as I can make out, you can't make a complaint on the basis that a programme was rubbish or not professional.

Brendan

Hi Jumpstart,

....The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland have Guidelines.....Brendan

Hello Mr. Burgess,

The BAI, like our other "regulators" have failed to impress me to date, based on my personal experiences.

Are there any stats published in the public domain anywhere, that show the number of complaints received against a broadcaster (such as RTE) and the number of those complaints upheld / declined ?

I suspect the BAI uphold zero, or very close to zero, of the complaints received about RTE. Coincidence... absolutely (not, imho !!!!).

Helpful comments. Any suggestions regarding a drunk show participant being used on a to show - as RTE explained after show that it was all 'great craic ' per some newspaper report

Are there any stats published in the public domain anywhere, that show the number of complaints received against a broadcaster (such as RTE) and the number of those complaints upheld / declined ?

I understand that they publish all the complaints, the responses from the broadcaster and their decisions.

Have you checked their Annual Report? I would say that you will find it there.

Alternatively, you could ask them. If they don't give it to you, ask your TD to ask for it.

Brendan

Helpful comments. Any suggestions regarding a drunk show participant being used on a to show - as RTE explained after show that it was all 'great craic ' per some newspaper report

Best suggestion, forget about it. Drunk people at Christmas (or any time of year really) is a fair reflection of a significant portion of the population given it's responsibility for 88 deaths every month...

Hello Mr. Burgess,

The BAI, like our other "regulators" have failed to impress me to date, based on my personal experiences.

I suspect the BAI uphold zero, or very close to zero, of the complaints received about RTE. Coincidence... absolutely (not, imho !!!!).

Here are the stats from the Annual Report

upload_2016-2-29_12-31-33-png.1114

And you can find each and every complaint here:
http://www.bai.ie/index.php/broadcasting-complaints/decisions/

So, if someone has the time, they could list out every complaint against RTE to see how many complaints against RTE are upheld.

Brendan

So, if someone has the time, they could list out every complaint against RTE to see how many complaints against RTE are upheld.

Quick enough to scan the summaries. For 2015, there were 92 complaints. 6 upheld, 3 upheld in part, and 83 rejected.

December's meeting covered 19 complaints and the report runs to 92 pages... You'll need someone with more time on their hands to suffer through all that :)

Back