TV Aerial v's satellite package

ally34

Hi..I am thinking of getting my current TV satellite package disconnected and opting for an old realiable TV aerial, can anyone advise how much is it to buy and install a TV aerial...

Why not use a combination of free-to-air satellite and an aerial? I also feel that tuners in modern TVs aren't what they used to be, and you will need a good aerial to get any kind of decent reception in many areas.
Leo

was away for a while but did i read somewhere of a digital once off payment service staring here in jan similar to what they have in the UK?

Yep, Ireland gets Digital Terrestrial Television next year, also known as DTT and similar to the UK's Freeview.

It uses a different technology (MPEG4) to the UK's older system (MPEG2), so at this time, don't buy a TV (if you can wait) as the current models are almost certainly fitted with tuners which are only compatible with the UK MPEG2 system.

Wait until the official hardware is available. This will certainly take the form of external tuner boxes which will work with existing TVs and possibly newer TV sets with the Irish DTT-compatible tuners integrated.

For now, if you want good quality free TV, you can get all the BBC and ITV offerings free via satellite dish either using Freesat tuners bought in the UK or general purpose FTA tuners generally available here. RTE, TG4 and TV3 are not available for free by satellite, so you'll need to use an aerial for them.

But hurry up cos you only have at most another 4 years of free analogue/UHF/VHF TV all thanks to Denis O'Brien

Don't you just love him .................... just think of all those OAP's fumbling around with a DTT or SKY remote !!!!!!!!!! :mad:

They'll be dustin' down the wireless and dumping their TV's methinks

Given the range of programmes available, dumping the TV isn't such a bad idea at all!

if i lived in the uk i would and just pick and choose from the online stuff. (bbc iplayer, c4 on denmad, etc)

just think of all those OAP's fumbling around with a DTT or SKY remote !!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Hopefully, there will, by then, be easy-to-use sets with integrated digital tuners which are compatible with Irish DTT.

Expect a big clearout of the existing UK-only DTT sets before then.

just seen this on digital spy. explains things fairly clearly.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a117906/ireland-confirms-national-dtt-rollout.html

Ireland confirms national DTT rollout
Friday, August 1 2008, 11:55 BST

By James Welsh, International Editor

The Republic of Ireland will launch a national digital terrestrial television system by Autumn 2009.

Digital terrestrial trials, which were conducted by a stakeholder group including BT, RTÉ and Sky among 500 households in Dublin and Louth, ended today. The test service carried 17 television channels, 16 radio services, a high definition service, an electronic programme guide, and a digital teletext system, in the same amount of spectrum used to transmit four analogue services.

The Irish DTT service will use the more efficient MPEG-4 compression standard from launch, rendering set top boxes and integrated digital television sets designed to work with the UK's system - which at present uses MPEG-2 - incompatible. However, UK communications regulator Ofcom plans to transition one multiplex to MPEG-4 next year.

"MPEG-4 is the technology of choice for DTT as it allows space for more content and for high definition channels," explained RTÉ director general Cathal Goan. "We want to ensure that our viewers get the best value for money in the switch to digital television – more channels, more services and better quality pictures."

Communications minister Eamon Ryan said that the Irish government would commence a public information campaign about digital terrestrial television next March.

"Central to the success of national rollout will be a public information campaign... explaining digital television to the nation," he explained. "My Department will begin this national information campaign in March 2009, in advance of the autumn 2009 launch date. Analogue switch-off must be complete by 2012.

"We have a tight timeframe but I am confident that with all players working together and with public buy-in that digital television in Ireland will offer new and exciting content and technology to the Irish viewer."

Once built, Boxer DTT will operate a subscription service on the platform to be available in addition to an RTÉ-run free channel bouquet.

"you only have at most another 4 years of free analogue/UHF/VHF TV all thanks to Denis O'Brien"

Isnt this an EU Directive ? The Govt are transferring from analogue to digital - Denis O'Brien has a licence to provide extra channels to customers (at extra cost) but the basic terrestrial channels will be provided free via a set-top-box. This is as i understand it but I could be wrong.

eu directive it is. basic terrestrial channels will be provided free via a set-top-box which you will have to buy. it will not be the same at the current UK one. they will be going for a more advance model / technology. the minister wants the same box for both the free stuff and anything extra mr O Brian can offer to make things easier for people.

Back