Travelling with leg in a cast

JMR

In 2 weeks time we will be travelling to France by Ferry, Cork to Roscoff and driving on to The Vendee region for a camping holiday with our 2 small children (1 year and 4 years)

Last week however I injured my leg and needed surgery. I will now be in a cast up to the knee for the duration of our holiday and will obviously be using crutches to get around.

Anybody ever gone on such a holiday while on crutches and have any advice to offer?

Driving is not a problem as I got a loan of an automatic car.
I have ordered a waterproof cover for my cast which will allow me to get into the pool.
Anything else I should be thinking about?

Might be worth checking if the insurance on the car will cover you with your leg in a cast......

Might be worth checking if the insurance on the car will cover you with your leg in a cast......

Insurance is sorted, I needed a letter from consultant stating my fitness to drive an automatic

For yourself:
- Gloves for the hands if using the crutches a lot (fingerless gel bike gloves are great), or strap up the handles with pads.
- Something to scratch the leg as it'll get v itchy (long knitting needle :) )
- Local doc / hospital info in case you need to get the leg / cast checked out (just don't get the knitting stuck in there)
- Personal Insurance sorted?

Hope the holiday goes well!

never stick anything down the cast! this could lead to a stracth which could become infected because of the condotions in the cast.. no air, warm etc..

Postpone the holiday! You should be able to claim the cost back on your travel insurance I would have thought.

Seems a waste of money & your annual leave when you won't be able to do as much as you'd like.

Don't quite understand why you'd want to drive that distance with your leg in a cast - would your partner not drive?

I gotta agree with thirsty- I know you prob have the hol booked for ages but ferry/ long drive/ camping / hot weather and 2 toddlers while in a cast all sounds just toooo hard. imagine getting out of tent and hopping to the loo in the middle of the night 1
and not at all like a holiday unless your other half is going to let you sit in a deckchair with a drink and watch the chaos.

but the french healthcare system is excellent so you should be grand if you run into trouble with your leg or your cast melts in the pool !

I think if you could hire a wheelchair while you are there it would help a lot as it can get very tiring trying to get around on crutches.

Son complained about the standard crutches issued here in Ireland as he found they hurt a lot as compared to the standard ones issued in America/Canada but there's a theory out there that they can cause problems with the underarm area.

Back