Travelling with a child - advice?

C

ColmCat

Any advice on how to handle a 2 year old on a 13 hour plane journey? DHL is not an option.

Also as we are flying to the US West coast, how can we get him into the right time. We leave Dublin at 3pm our time arriving in SF at 10pm pacific time.

Thanks in anticipation

dozol100ml7sj.jpg
...?

No, but seriously - 'containing' a 2-yr-old for 13 hours is gonna be tricky. I hate to suggest it, but what about one of those portable DVD players, with a supply of suitable viewing materials? Otherwise, a BIG book of stories - but someone will have to read them to him! :)

At least you are ont attempting the nightflight "sure he'll sleep the whole way!" nightmare option. I'll never do that again.

Only advice is get an extra seat, middle row. If the flight is full you're ok for space but if it's not you'll have a full row becuase the (single seat) passenger in your row would rather be outside than sit next to you.

We packed a separate bag with a couple of books, cuddly toy, crayons, paper, baby wipes, playing cards, tissues - if i think if anything else I'll let you know.
In my own bag, I kept a couple more "contingency" toys, like finger puppets in case all else fails. Try and pre-book an emergency exit or ailse seat and book sit one on either side of the child.
Don't let them take everything out of the bag at once and have set times for playing, resting and eating. No other toys until they put the other ones away. HTH

Erith said:
At least you are ont attempting the nightflight "sure he'll sleep the whole way!" nightmare option. I'll never do that again.
Do tell more, Erith - Having had this strategy recommended to me by others, I'm wondering what could possibly go wrong?

I'm wondering what could possibly go wrong?
Very funny, Rainyday. :) Having just come back from travelling overnight, my only advice would be to be prepared to have at least one of you lose a nights sleep. Having said that, it could work, and if it did, it would be great.

Coming back from the US there would an option for a red eye flight, but going east to west I dont think its a possibility. My sister-in-law went to westcoast a few years ago with 4 and 2 yr olds, took her a week to recover! I flew with a 6 month old last year, he just about fit in to a basonette and woke for a feed and went back to sleep.

RainyDay said:
Do tell more, Erith - Having had this strategy recommended to me by others, I'm wondering what could possibly go wrong?

Put it this way: hell in a metal tube somewhere over the Atlantic with 100 or so other people feeling sorry for you for about 20 minutes and then emanating pissed-offness for the next 8 hours. Never never again. Much better to spend the time bribing, chasing and coloring while everyone else is at least able to watch a movie or drink heavily.

PS. Also, avoid Virgin. Stewardesses young, childless and unhelpful. The tough, no nonsense American airline types are much nicer (to kids).

Back