Travel to the USA- Mobiles

thedaddyman

Travelling to the USA in the summer, family of 4, including 2 teenagers, all on the Vodafone Red Family plan.

Obviously don't want to be fleeced with roaming charges but has anyone used an e-sim in the US and how did you find them? We're all on Samsung Androids of various descriptions but plan would be to potentially get 1 or 2 e sims for the adults and then let the teenagers get on line via Wi-Fi when we have access to it.

We have just come back having done exactly as you said above. We managed with one phone on data - we used an airalo e-sim and I would 100% recommend - lots of data, 1 fixed price - very easy to top up if needed and we had 100% coverage and never had an issue. As simple as typing in the code the day before you go and then off you go.
Obviously check beforehand which of your phones will accept e-sim 1st!! You don't state where you are going but wifi was freely available virtually everywhere.
Another tip is to download the offline version of the google maps area you will be travelling to - you can then use it on the phone without data if needed (need data for live traffic but that's all)

Does that solution enable any phonecalls/texts? We're travelling to USA and Canada and I wonder if we need a different solution for each country?

Does that solution enable any phonecalls/texts? We're travelling to USA and Canada and I wonder if we need a different solution for each country?
Simoptions do a SIM from Three HK that covers 6 countries incl USA and Canada so that would cover you. They don't enable calls/texts but I found that texts don't cost a huge amount anyway with current provider and I used WhatsApp for calls.
If you want a USA sim that enables you to make calls from a new number then I think you have to get that when you in the US. If you want calls to and from your current number you have to make sure you are on the most cost effective plan/bundle with your provider before you go - and use that sim for calls and texts and your e-sim for the data.

GoMo World which is an off-shoot of eir. Very easy to set up and use and cheap enough. Just download the app and go from there. They even have instructional videos on their website.

Make sure any phones are network unlocked and can use an eSim.

Back