Travel Insurance when starting journey in Australia and ending in Ireland.

Fiadha

My daughter is currently completing a semester in Australia as part of her university degree in UCD. She went there in January. As she is both an Australian and Irish citizen I did not get travel insurance for her as she is entitled to healthcare in Australia. She wants to travel to Asia for 6 weeks en route home to finish her last year in university. I am unable to find travel insurance that will cover her for this trip only as her trip will originate in Australia and end in Ireland when she returns home. The travel insurance I have looked at says in the small print that the travel must commence and end in Ireland. Does anyone know of a travel insurance company who would insure her for this journey to Asia which originates in Australia and end in Ireland when she returns home. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Would have thought that it would be a question of her taking out the insurance in Australia rather than you trying from here? Has she looked online herself to see if she can purchase it there?

Thanks for your reply. Apparently same rules apply in Australia. Journey must be commenced and completed In Australia as researched by my daughter

Perhaps give a few brokers a call on Monday and see if they can give any advice. Travel agency might be worth a try too.

Perhaps give a few brokers a call on Monday and see if they can give any advice. Travel agency might be worth a try too.
Thank you. Hadn’t thought about travel agents but they might be able to help. Will try anything now!

Or worst case, book a very cheap flight from anywhere in Asia to anywhere in Australia post the 6 weeks but prior to the maximum trip length of the policy. So, her trip would end in Australia. If she has any major issue while in Asia that would require a claim against the policy, it would be perfectly understandable if she changes her travel plans and rather flies back to Ireland where she has family. Having both citizenships makes it very plausible that she would end up in either country at the end of her trip.

Or worst case, book a very cheap flight from anywhere in Asia to anywhere in Australia post the 6 weeks but prior to the maximum trip length of the policy. So, her trip would end in Australia.
I don't think that would address the origin/destination challenges the OP is facing.
it would be perfectly understandable if she changes her travel plans and rather flies back to Ireland where she has family.
Most policies will limit repatriation costs to the country you declare as your home country only.

Back