Transfering balance without activating new credit card

Jamjam

I applied for a tesco Credit card ago (approx 7 months ago). It took so long to process I decided to go elsewhere (MBNA) and transfered my BOI credit card balance to MBNA instead and closed my BOI account. Easy as ...or so I thought!

Last month however I received my tesco credit card. I was surprised as I had forgotten I had applied for it. I rang them and said I didn't want it and that the balance that I had initially applied to tranfer was gone to MBNA and the BOI a/c was closed. They said that it was all ok as long as I didn't activate the card. I was assured that no balance transfer would take place without the activation of the crad. (There was the usual phone number stuck to the card to ring if I wanted to activate the card)

However ....this morning I received a credit card bill from Tesco looking for payment! In order words they had transfered money in to my now closed account after I had said I didn't want them too and without me without activating the card.

I rang them and they told me I had been misinformed! They said they could do this without me activating my card!
Tough luck now pay back the money. I said that BOI would give me a draft and I would post it to them. The Tesco people didn't know what a bank draft was!!! Also I am unsure if the draft will get there before the due payment date so i will obviously penilised for their mistake! In addition as I don't have the card (i tore it up when I wasn't taking them up on the offer) I am unable to pay through the post office.

Anyway what I want to know is....can they transfer the balance to my closed a/c when I specifically rang them and said I didn't want the card before they did it???

And ...has anyone else experience the pathetic customer service I endured today???

Thanks in advance

J

Holy hell JamJam I didn't think that the card could be activated unless you called them.Maybe someone with a more deep-seated knowledge about this kind of thing could advise you. I know that all of my cards had to be activated by calling the number though.

I had similar trouble with them. They re main problem as i can see is that all theyre systems seem to be automated and that their customer service is in UK. Just call em and tell them that you want to speak to a manager. Tell them that you were informed that the card had to be activated and you didnt activate it. They prob have your call on a recording too.

They gave me trouble before as i applied for a card and said i didnt want the card if they didnt give me a limit of X. i received the card with a considerably lower limit. I rang them and told them i didnt want the account. they said they would close it but i wld have to pay the 40 EUR stamp. they eventually decided that this was not the case.

Dont take no for an answer!

Sincere thanks for you reply above

Oh god! I hope I won'y have to pay the stamp duty now too. After speaking with two of them at customer service already would you still recommend that I speak to a manager?

Hey it's me again! Right today I received my bill for the teaco credit card. It was for 1900 (the balance transfer) and for 57:00 euro (overdue minimum paymnet)

As you can see for my original posts I never wanted this balance trasfer. I had to go to the trouble of going to the bank and pay for a bank draft to send to tesco-which I did. I rang them and explained all.

That was lodged on 12th of August. They tell me they never received it and now I'm charged this overdue payment. I rang the bank who I got the draft from and they confirmed that this was lodged in to Tesco a/c on the 18th.

Now Tesco are drivin me mad saying they have no idea where the draft has gone. I suspect that it has been credited to someone else's a/c.

What should I do? Tesco tell me I should pay minimum. whle they look for it. Surely I shouldnt have to when I have paid full amount on time (even if they cant find it-i have receipt!)

Just want to state that this is the worst service in the world! Customer service is pathetic...much worse than BOS

Back