Transfer through JFK - Duty free purchased in Dublin

MUM2KIDS

I am off to Las Vegas in November flying Dublin to New York (JFK) on to Las Vegas. I know that I have to pick my bags up in JFK and transfer them to another conveyor belt but I was wondering about liquids purchased in Duty Free.

I hope to buy some "cheap" alcohol in Dublin Duty free on the way out but will I be allowed to bring this on the next flight - or will it have to be checked in separately?. Don't want to end buying something that will be taken off me.

Thanks in advance for your replies

You will need to re-clear security after arriving from an international flight and transferring to a domestic flight in the US .. so they will take any liquids that you're trying to take into your hand luggage that are over 100ml and checking booze into your hold luggage in glass bottles is never a great idea in my view.

The previous poster left out one important thing that is the answer to the OP.

Yes you have to re-clear security BUT you also have to go through US customs. You collect your bags, take them through customs and then drop them on an onward flight baggage belt. After customs and before the belt you can open your bags and put in the duty free.

Do you want the duty free for your time in the US? Alcohol is cheaper in the US so you mightn't save anything. If it's for you on your return why not use the shop and collect service at Dublin airport. You buy duty free on your way out and collect it in the arrivals home on your way back.

Good point on re-checking the bags .. however I still wouldn't check glass bottles of alcohol into my luggage ... there's a risk you'll end up with very smelly clothes!

I didn't think (but could well be wrong) that you could do the "Shop and Collect" thing on stuff that's genuine Duty Free and has to be exported (e.g. Alcohol and Cigarettes) .. I thought you could only do it on items that aren't duty free goods (cosmetics etc.)

As noted as well booze isn't exactly that expensive in the US .. really not worth the hassle in my view.

Back