"Trade Only" restriction for exhibitions (RDS & elsewhere)

Betsy Og

What's behind this restriction?, is it to limit numbers so that real "players" are not crowded out by the general public? Will they actually stop you going into those exhibitions or do you just call yourself the purchasing manager for Joe Bloggs & Co. and stoll in??

There's the odd exhibtion, like one coming up for renewable energy, that I wouldnt mind going to but I'm not in the trade as such - though if I saw the product I want (micro-hydro system) I'd be very open to parting with cash.

Or maybe its some archaic law or regulation that obliges them to say that, but no-one takes any notice of it in practice??

Good question - I'm not exactly sure what the story is here.

Have to say though, as a regular exhibitor I'd be only too glad to see this enforced. Nothing more annoying than having a hall full of students with no purchasing power/authority.

Although considering this is often my experience, I'm guessing that there is no real enforcement at all :rolleyes:

I think it only really means that the general public cannot simply walk in willy nilly. You need an invite although these are usually not hard to come by - look at the websites of the big players who might be exhibiting at forthcoming events - they always have 100s of free invites to get rid of.

Or maybe its some archaic law or regulation that obliges them to say that, but no-one takes any notice of it in practice??

No, there is no such law.

The reason is a lot more boring. Manufacturers and Importers have a business model which does not include consumers. These "trade" shows are not aimed at consumers and to allow consumers in would disrupt the objective of the show and annoy the large established customers.

Anybody can get around this with a business card.
It does not have to be industry related card, or indeed your own!

I recently went to the furniture expo at the RDS which was strictly trade only. I managed to get an invite off a friend that owns a furniture business. There was no one allowed in without the invite. I was absolutely shocked at the price of the furniture - it was for nothing! Maybe the reson behind it is they want to keep the normal joe soap out so they wont know how much they are actually being ripped off! The mark up on furniture alone is astronomical.

I was absolutely shocked at the price of the furniture - it was for nothing!

Chan,
I was shown around a couple of high end furniture factories in Cebu. The factory price was at most 10% of what it would sell here. For example one table was about 135USD, if I saw it for 2k in Ireland I would not be suprised. One place went to the trouble of getting container prices to Dublin Port, a little over 1000USD for a 20 foot and not too much more for a 40 Foot. It would probably cost more here to get the container picked up at the port, what ever about taxes!

I prefer trade only exhibitions. Otherwise parents decide that its a great place to bring the kids and the place ends up turning in to an industrial disney land. I'm trying to talk to the sales staff but they have to constantly (and politely of course) tell little Britney and little jeffrey to get down off the machine because the blades are not toys. All the doors on machines are locked up to stop them hopping in them so I cant get a proper look inside. Brochures end up everywhere and you can be sure they will put rubbish in one of the items I want to look at.

My favourite part is during break down, picking off bits of sweets/lollies that have got stuck to our fabric covered backdrops and velcro.

Allegedly, possible urban myth, you can also attend paying exhibitions in the RDS without having to pay the entrance fee if you are a tradesperson. Not sure of the handshake required, heard this quite a few years back.

A stand at these shows is expensive and the trade-only shows are set up for introducing new ideas to product and service providers. Having tons of 'tyre kickers' circulating, taking brochures and absorbing the reps time is not the purpose.

Instead of a travelling rep on the road it is an opportunity for trades and suppliers to meet in one central location and exchange information much more efficiently.

Back