"To take a glass, is now alas, the greatest crime of all" - Irish folk &drink culture

Betsy Og

The above is a line from the latest Damien Dempsey record "The Rocky Road", cover versions of classic sing-along folk ballads.

Oh what a pity it is that Irish folk music, which I enjoy, seems to have an intrinsic link to drink culture. The cover of the above mentioned album has the singer contemplating a brandy glass having taken a sup.

Now I probably sound overly prudish but was it really necessary to re-inforce the drinkin Irish stereotype? The same man is to be credited for exposing some of the harsh reality of Irish drug culture but I would guess that, on a nationwide basis, drink is probably a bigger problem than drugs.

So rather than encourage to next generation of Luke Kelly's, Brendan Behan's, George Bests (only mentioning the deceased members of the "reverred alcoholics clubs") that to be an icon you need to be sozzled the whole time, wouldnt it be nice to make a clean break of it and have talent and craic without excess drink.

Enjoyable album for those interested.

Re: "To take a glass, is now alas, the greatest crime of all" - Irish folk &drink cul

Was on a shannon trip, stopped off in pub playing irish folk music (very badly I might add) all the musicians didn't have a drink in front of them, however I needed one to listen to them..

I dont think any sane irish young person would want to emulate any of the names you mention above!!

Re: "To take a glass, is now alas, the greatest crime of all" - Irish folk &drink cul

The above is a line from the latest Damien Dempsey record "The Rocky Road", cover versions of classic sing-along folk ballads.

Oh what a pity it is that Irish folk music, which I enjoy, seems to have an intrinsic link to drink culture. The cover of the above mentioned album has the singer contemplating a brandy glass having taken a sup.

Now I probably sound overly prudish but was it really necessary to re-inforce the drinkin Irish stereotype? The same man is to be credited for exposing some of the harsh reality of Irish drug culture but I would guess that, on a nationwide basis, drink is probably a bigger problem than drugs.
One line from one song from his 6 (?) albums and 8 singles/EPs to date - are you sure that you're not overgeneralising a bit here? :rolleyes:

One line from one song from his 6 (?) albums and 8 singles/EPs to date - are you sure that you're not overgeneralising a bit here? :rolleyes:

You've missed the point a bit there - the quoted line is only an intro to the topic, the song is a cover (i.e. not his own) about a hackler and how the laws changed and he's now being persecuted for his trade.

The thing that I thought was a bit unnecessary was to have him drinking on the cover of the CD - I'm a big fan and the photo is a small indiscretion (if you'd even call it that) - my point was more that its a bit symptomatic of always having cliched links between trad/folk and drinking.

As regards the other poster, I genuinely think that half the allure or the cult of guys like Shane McGowan is his legendary drinking. I dont want to go naming any more living people who are revered for drinking (among their other undoubted talents of course) but I think its still a bit of a phonomenon.

Sadly for ever talented legendary drinker there are a few thousand fans who never get beyond the drink part.

Dunno, maybe I'm the only one who see this link to the Irish excessive drink culture.

Go on Damo.

The thing that I thought was a bit unnecessary was to have him drinking on the cover of the CD

AFAIK Damien doesn't drink alcohol ???

Maybe with that image he is abhoring alcohol, the image of drink and the title of the album - the rocky road ??

Very enjoyable album.

You've missed the point a bit there - the quoted line is only an intro to the topic, the song is a cover (i.e. not his own) about a hackler and how the laws changed and he's now being persecuted for his trade.
I don't think I missed the point. Part of your original post was criticism of DD himself as far as I can see:
The cover of the above mentioned album has the singer contemplating a brandy glass having taken a sup.

Now I probably sound overly prudish but was it really necessary to re-inforce the drinkin Irish stereotype?
Do you really think that a single song/lyric/album cover photo is going to influence a nation's attitude to alcohol? Some people abuse alcohol. Many (most?) don't. While there are lots of factors involved in this personal responsibility and choice are not negligible ones and arguably more relevant than many external factors.

Clubman - in your first post you seemed to be of the view that my criticism was of the lyric "to take a glass is .....", and that I should take greater context because it was 1 line in X albums & Y singles.

My criticism isnt of the lyric, its of the album cover photo. Yes I'm a bit critical of it, but not thats there great harm in 1 photo as such, other than it perpetuates the drinking culture stereotype/cliche and wouldnt it be great to get beyond that and just enjoy the music. (The isnt a lynch DD thread !! :))

So the album was the catalyst for discussing the topic in general (folk music and drink linked and maybe the wider issue of the the idolisation of heavy drinkers).

So as I say maybe there no takers for this debate or people think I'm just wrong.

Back