Tips for representing yourself in court?

I told Barrister that due to issues of bullying I would prefer to represent myself ...
Ex just using this process to bully, intimidate & control me. ...
So this is about revenge in a way, you want to show your ex that you won't get let him/her away with it? Far too much a risk to take in my opinion. You could lose. What sort of empowerment is that and how will it help your self esteem?

You are all very discouraging and not offering tips. Has anyone out their represented themselves before?
It's a pity you're taking good advice as discouragment. Would you advise someone to operate on themselves, or to extract their own tooth? I know a barrister who loves nothing better than a good argument, he doesn't care what side he argues. I have seen him wind up people on social occasions just for fun, and imagine that to try and argue against someone with such training in a courtroom would be a very belittling experience. Also, I have had friends who have been in family law courtrooms, and even with representation they found it a very upsetting experience.
It seems that no one on this thread has any experience of representing themselves (and no-one has told of anyone they know doing it). Perhaps you might ask yourself why this is.

Would you not feel more empowered by hiring a good barrister and sitting back and enjoying him/her demolishing the oppositions case?
Exactly! The smile you would have on your face as you walked out the door would be very empowering.

I have been to court (once!) and I would never advise anyone to represent themselves. I suspect you have some ill advised notion that this will empower you, it will not. Self representation sends a message at the outset so powerful about you that you are loading the dice firmly against yourself. In my opinion it says, I know so much I dont need legal professional representation. Sorry they will take you apart, as previously said they know where to trip you up, how to annoy you so you loose it and make a complete bags of the situation. It can be hard enough to fight your corner with the assistance of a good legal representative so please do not go it alone. I think you may well shoot yourself in the foot if you go ahead with this unwise plan.

I had a good giggle re operating on yourself & extracting your own tooth. Come on people! Why should I have to hire/pay a solicitor if I don't need one? I have witnessed court proceedings before and have testified myself in work related issues. There are no winners in this and I am not into revenge. I am into justice, equality, dignity & respect. Feelings of empowerment will be the bonus.

I want to represent myself for empowerment reasons as ex has been very unkind & emotionally abusive to me.
It seems to me from your original post you view it as more than a bonus, you see it as the reason.

Any tips re managing court process or conducting oneself in court?
This would indicate a certain unfamiliarity with court proceedings...
I have witnessed court proceedings before and have testified myself in work related issues.
This would indicate you don't need the hints and tips you are asking for.

What is it you want? Plaudits for going it alone? The advice has been virtually universal. Get representation. If you believe you don't need it, then go ahead.

I'm sorry but I think you are fooling only yourself in this. Your primary reasons are idealistic rather than realistic. At the end of the day whether or not you are "into justice, equality, dignity & respect" is immaterial to the matter in hand. This is a court case playing with valuable assets not a Miss World competition.

Why should I have to hire/pay a solicitor if I don't need one?

It is only you that thinks you don't need one. I have seen a few cases with solicitors and barristers personally involved and in every single one none of them represented themselves. These matters ranged from minor Road Traffic cases to divorces etc. If someone who has spent a large part of their life studying and practicing law doesn't represent themself then it definitely is not recommended for anyone else to do so.

i can perfectly understand you not wanting to do this but if you gave some details of the straightforward case then perhaps the solicitors on board here could then tell you if it is feasible to represent yourself.
i am currently involved in a legal case and there is no way if it does go to court that i would represent myself not when it's property involved, i wouldn't have the skills firstly and secondly i know emotionally i would find it difficult.

I have witnessed court proceedings before and have testified myself in work related issues.
My husband has witnessed several medical operations but still woudn't try carrying one out himself!

Come on people! Why should I have to hire/pay a solicitor if I don't need one?
Well if you were a qualified solicitor you might not need one but you probably would employ one. You obviously don't like what people are telling you here, but do you not see that they are giving honest unbiased opinions?

This [broken link removed] might give you some useful information, it's about representing yourself in Missouri courts so obviously not the same as here. I can't overstate how strongly I believe you should not follow this course of action though. Family court is emotive and you need a detached person looking out for you. The judge will have a busy caseload and with the best will in the world will not be able to make allowances for the fact that you are not familiar with the environment and its rules.

Believe me, what's not said is often more important than what is. Professionals are paid to present your argument in the best way possible, and defend your interests from attack. That's what they do - it's an adversarial system.

All it takes is one well placed question for your opposition to present you to the judge as a vindictive person looking to extract your pound of flesh. By the time you realise what's happened, you suddenly cotton on that the barrister has been leading you into this trap for the last 10-15 minutes, and there's no way out of it. Then you realise that the judge is losing sympathy for you, and you begin to get flustered. A natural consequence of this is that you become inconsistent and possibly aggressive. Bingo - you've lost.

The other scenario is you're examining your ex and he says something that's not true. You say "you're lying" or something similar. The judge now sees you as an emotional person and begins to lose sympathy. See above for the rest of what happens.

Pay for the professional to protect you from that type of scenario.

TreeTiger, what's wrong with empowerment being the reason to represent myself? It's not about revenge. I am a fair person.
Why should I pay someont to do something that I can do myself? I said it was a simple case. I have witnessed court proceedings and testified in court but I have not represented myself in court. Thus, the question 'tips for representing yourself in court? Thought I might learn something more or gain some insight into the process.
So-crates, I hardly thing I am looking for plaudits for going it alone. Why such the angry patronising response?
Upon reflection, I should not expect solicitors to approve of someone representing themself.
Thanks for your replies but I was looking for tips not a debate about whether to represent yourself or not.
I am obviously in the wrong forum/site.

Do realise that a barrister is not allowed represent him/herself? The reason for that is simple. They are emotionally connected, and will not do the best job because emotion will get in the way of doing the job. Whatever you think, the most likely way to get a good outcome is to have someone impartial (with the legal skills to spot the pitfalls) argue on your behalf.

I want to represent myself for empowerment reasons as ex has been very unkind & emotionally abusive to me.

Feeling empowered is something to be gained, and is very valuable to me and my dignity.

I am into justice, equality, dignity & respect. Feelings of empowerment will be the bonus.

Please re-read these sections of quotes of your previous posts, these statements are all very emotional and have no place in a courtroom.

TreeTiger, what's wrong with empowerment being the reason to represent myself? It's not about revenge. I am a fair person.
Why should I pay someont to do something that I can do myself? I said it was a simple case. I have witnessed court proceedings and testified in court but I have not represented myself in court. Thus, the question 'tips for representing yourself in court? Thought I might learn something more or gain some insight into the process.

The only reason you should represent yourself is if there is nobody better than you available to do it. In all honesty I would be very surprised if that were the case.

... What is it you want? Plaudits for going it alone? The advice has been virtually universal. Get representation. If you believe you don't need it, then go ahead.

I'm sorry but I think you are fooling only yourself in this. Your primary reasons are idealistic rather than realistic. At the end of the day whether or not you are "into justice, equality, dignity & respect" is immaterial to the matter in hand. This is a court case playing with valuable assets not a Miss World competition.
So-crates, I hardly thing I am looking for plaudits for going it alone. Why such the angry patronising response?
I thought So-crates' response to you was polite and well reasoned. If you think that's angry and patronising, just wait until you get into a courtroom.

Upon reflection, I should not expect solicitors to approve of someone representing themself.
Thanks for your replies but I was looking for tips not a debate about whether to represent yourself or not.
I can't speak for others but I'm not a solicitor, I have worked with solicitors in the past and recognise that a decent solicitor has a vast amount of legal information in their head that I don't.
You received tips - i.e. don't represent yourself; however, I gave you a useful link which you didn't acknowledge (I actually spent time on Google looking it up for you), you just asked me what was wrong with self-empowerment being a reason to represent yourself. You seem to be taking peoples responses as personal attacks. They are not. This is one of the most helpful sites I have come across, and people give honest, insightful (and often very informed) opinions. For your own sake I wish you would listen to them.

Just editing to add that in case you think I have some reason to believe that solicitors and barristers need the business, this is not the reason I have made the points on this thread that I have. Two very good friends of mine have been in family court and found it a nerve-shattering experience. For one of them I went along for support (wasn't able to go inside the courtroom obviously), and my friend's case was unarguable, her (now) ex-husband didn't even turn up, she won and still came out shaking. This is someone who I would normally describe as being as tough as nails. The other friend phoned me after her case, it was an interim thing, huge mess. She luckily had good representation as, when her estranged husband perjured himself, her mind went completely blank, she couldn't believe he would do this. But her legal guy was able to keep his head together and win the interim judgement for her. OP, I have huge empathy for a person who has suffered at the hands of someone who should cherish them, and understand (and encourage) the need to assert oneself. But a court of law is not the place to start.

Last edited:

We aren't all solicitors and I doubt anyone is angry with you. Why should anyone else be? I certainly have nothing to lose by your folly. You on the other hand, do.
I, and I suspect others, have been trying to point out, in very restrained terms (believe me, my initial reaction to your post was at least one raised eyebrow) that your reasons are not the best and you may not be doing yourself any favours.
The simple fact of the matter is, you don't wish to hear this. You only want to hear "positive" and probably "affirming" or "empowering" responses. Well I would guess that Vanilla's response is about as positive as it is going to get.
Best of luck empowering yourself. I hope you realise in time that the sensible way to do so is to employ a professional to do the job. Adversarial situations are hardly the best place for woolly concepts like "empowerment".

Given your request for "tips", the nature and volume of feedback you have received and your responses, I think you are absolutely correct. Your posts indicate that what you really wanted from AAMers was not "tips", but acclamation and praise for your "bravery".

This site has IME a unique mix of opinions and posters, from expert through to well-meaning lay-person, and whether you choose to recognise it or not, the consensus is identical to the first response you got, i.e. "Don't".

Instead of taking the opinions and recommendations expressed at face value, in the post I quoted from above, you have chosen to ascribe motivations to posters that I don't believe were there and can't see, and to take a negative interpretation on suggestions. All of which leads me to conclude that even if you had legal representation, your inability to listen to and act on sound advice could undermine their best efforts.

When I initiate a court action as plaintiff it is to have a decision adjudicated in my favour. In order to try and ensure that happens on the day, I prepare myself with the best legal opinion and the best legal practitioner(s) I can.

When I am summoned to appear in court, as in your case, I prepare at least as thoroughly.

In order to appear as an expert witness on behalf of clients, I invested time money and effort in expert witness training for report preparation and for giving oral eveidence and for responding to examination and questioning by judges and "the other side".

In short its about achieving the outcome I or my client want, and, although I have reasonable experience (for a layman) of parts of the judicial system, I still find the process of preparation and appearing trying.

I would appeal to you to get the best lawyers you can, listen to them, act on their advice and allow them to present your case in court in order to secure for yourself the ruling you deserve.

Back