Tiling directly onto block i.e. no plaster

pudzer

A friend of mine is building a house. She is not plastering her bathrooms. Instead, she will ask the tilers to tile directly onto the inner cavity wall block.

SOunds like a good money saving idea. Does it work?

wow - she must have ultimate faith in her blocklayer and the block supplier that the walls will be perfectly flat to provide a good flat surface for the adhesive. also blocks will be very porous so the tiler would end up practically plastering the adhesive on to get a flat surface (much more expensive than a plaster coat.) Sounds like a money waster to me - has she spoken to any tilers about this idea ?

I think it's a bad idea also- a sand/ cement render (minus the normal skimcoat finish)would make an excellent background for tiling.

I've seen this done quite a lot on the continent (Germany and Switzerland). They tile before plastering and then level the plaster coat to the tile edge where for example the complete room is not being tiled. I have to say I liked the effect of a smooth flowing finish from bare wall to tile without that silly (in my opinion) looking trim we tend to use here.

AndyH

Back