Raising the qualified child to €46 and €54 - up by €4

Hot schoold means to another 900 schools

child benefit to age 18 in full time education

25% reduction in childcare costs from Sept 2024

Additional core funding on infrastructure

€75 and €73 for foster care to €400 per week

€65m for disability

1,400 day places for school leavers

I've seen that written in a few places but that is already the situation.
Are you sure?
This is the de facto/pre-budget 2024 situation according to Citizens Information:
Child Benefit is not paid for any child aged 18 or older, even if they are in full-time education or training.
My son just turned 18 in September (and is in 6th/Leaving Cert year) and I got a letter from DSP informing me that CB would no longer be paid after the September payment.

Last edited:
Great country to be a child alright apart from the 4000 children in emergency accommodation, the 291 children waiting for spinal surgery, 4421 children waiting for mental health treatment......

.but hey multi millionaires continue to get child benefit while their little Hugo and Anastasia when they are 18 and continue in education......

Was there really nothing else we could have done with that money?

€65m for disability

Childcare costs only apply to public childcare providers.

I've seen that written in a few places but that is already the situation. I expect that they will extend child benefit beyond 18 for those in second level. Most kids are 19 leaving second level.
It was the situation some years ago. As another poster mentioned, the current rule is that child benefit for schoolgoers ceases at age 18, regardless of when in the school year that happens.
The upcoming change is a restoration of a previous entitlement.

€65m for disability

How is the 25% reduction in childcare costs calculated? Its a big reduction but how will it be reflected in real life. For example, if I spend €600 per week as it stands, will that now be €450 next year?

My son just turned 18 in September (and is in 6th/Leaving Cert year) and I got a letter from DSP informing me that CB would no longer be paid after the September payment.
That's the situation as it stands. Brendan posted "child benefit to age 18 in full time education" which is no different. So I expect that it's actually "child benefit extended to 18-year-olds in full-time education", so up to age 19 in full-time education.

Last edited:
Second mortgage continues for another 11 months

Thanks FFGG

Promise to do this over 2 budgets fudged.

My child was 18 last May childcare stopped then .he is in leaving cert will I get back pay .
Childcare? Do you mean Child Benefit? If so then, no. It's only payable from September 2024 for 18 year olds in full time education according to the DSP:
  • extend Child Benefit to 18-year-olds in full time education, from September 2024

How is the 25% reduction in childcare costs calculated? Its a big reduction but how will it be reflected in real life. For example, if I spend €600 per week as it stands, will that now be €450 next year?
It’s not a straight 25% reduction. There will be a fixed increase in the NCS subsidy that will apply. The last “25%” reduction worked out as ~15% to us.

Great country to be a child alright apart from the 4000 children in emergency accommodation, the 291 children waiting for spinal surgery, 4421 children waiting for mental health treatment......

.but hey multi millionaires continue to get child benefit while their little Hugo and Anastasia when they are 18 and continue in education......

Was there really nothing else we could have done with that money?

Well, the Minister for Housing could have sent some of the 80,000 Ukranian refugees and countless thousands of asylum seekers back home and moved those homeless kids into the homes that would have become available. Is that what you'd have liked?

And the Minister for Health could have toddled down to Supervalu and picked up a couple of dozen child pyschologists who - as we all know - are ten a penny at the moment.

I have no doubt that some of the additional €500m allocated to the HSE will be used to tackle the waiting list for spinal surgery; probably by sourcing the procedure overseas wherever possible; but unfortunately there's no easy way of tackling the backlog - and, regardless of the baying of the media and opposition TDs - it's one of those structural problems that can't be solved by the time honoured Irish political solution of simply throwing more money at it.

Finally, I'd like to wish both Hugo and Anastasia the very best of luck in their continuing education; hopefully one or both of them will qualify as doctors and work in the HSE in the years to come.

Well, the Minister for Housing could have sent some of the 80,000 Ukranian refugees and countless thousands of asylum seekers back home and moved those homeless kids into the homes that would have become available. Is that what you'd have liked?

And the Minister for Health could have toddled down to Supervalu and picked up a couple of dozen child pyschologists who - as we all know - are ten a penny at the moment.

I have no doubt that some of the additional €500m allocated to the HSE will be used to tackle the waiting list for spinal surgery; probably by sourcing the procedure overseas wherever possible; but unfortunately there's no easy way of tackling the backlog - and, regardless of the baying of the media and opposition TDs - it's one of those structural problems that can't be solved by the time honoured Irish political solution of simply throwing more money at it.

Finally, I'd like to wish both Hugo and Anastasia the very best of luck in their continuing education; hopefully one or both of them will qualify as doctors and work in the HSE in the years to come.

Child benefit and every other universal benefit are a complete waste of money. Are you actually arguing there is nothing better we can do with millions of euro going to people who don't need it?

And I hope Hugo and Anastasia stay in education and qualify as medical professionals. That way, after spending a couple of hundred grand training them up, they can help the Australian health system...

Meanwhile a 18 year old on a low paid apprenticeship living at home isn't considered the same as Hugo because he has the nerve to earn less than Hugo earns in his part time job while attending college. So Hugos parents will continue to get the good old child benefit while poor Joe's parents are told sorry but your child doing the a low paid apprenticeship but still sponging off you is not eligible.

Yep good policy.....

As for HSE and structural problems that I have been hearing about for 30 years? Well I agree it is not about money. Doesnt really help the thousands of kids looking for access to mental health treatment though does it? Because I have yet to hear one thing about how we are going to tackle these problems apart from writing a new report.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back