Thinking of getting induction cooker due to air quality -recommendations?

Gordanus

I've a freestanding gas cooker and noticed that when I'm cooking that the Aranet CO2 detector goes into a very high range (2000+). Even with the window open, and extractor fan on, it goes over 1000.

So I was quite shocked, especially as it takes a long time to reduce when I open the window, which I'm disinclined to do on these cold days. And so wondered about changing to an induction cooker. The freestanding ones all seem quite expensive.

But also I was wondering if anyone had done this, and is it much different to cooking on gas? I know about pans, but most of mine will work on induction. The other half is keen on using a wok - can this be used on an induction? Is it as fast and as responsive as gas in changing the temperature under the pot?

Is it difficult to get the mains gas disconnected and replace with electric?

And any recommendations as to make? I'd prefer the cheaper end!

Swapped out gas cooker for freestanding electric w induction hob last yr. Induction hob is fantastically quick.

You need a certified gas eng to cap off the gas pipe & electrician to wire in the electric cooker.

In another property I own, I did a kitchen refurb with a separate induction hob & high level built in oven.

Its a much better set up & if / when I redo my own kitchen, thats what I'll go for again.

Sorry I can't give you any advice in general in connection with induction as have no experience but just wondering if you would need to mention what part of the country/city you are in connection with gas supply.

Any chance the cooker can be serviced or repaired, might be the cheapest option

I've a freestanding gas cooker and noticed that when I'm cooking that the Aranet CO2 detector goes into a very high range (2000+). Even with the window open, and extractor fan on, it goes over 1000.
Is this with just job or the gas oven part operational too? Those CO2 levels aren’t ideal but not a problem for short periods. I wouldn’t change purely for this reason.

I much prefer gas hob cooking over induction but I do hate the cleaning.

Sorry I can't give you any advice in general in connection with induction as have no experience but just wondering if you would need to mention what part of the country/city you are in connection with gas supply.
Dublin - mains gas.

Is this with just job or the gas oven part operational too? Those CO2 levels aren’t ideal but not a problem for short periods. I wouldn’t change purely for this reason.

I much prefer gas hob cooking over induction but I do hate the cleaning.
I was using both the big oven and the hob. I mean I didn't feel any bad effects from it, have been cooking with gas all my adult life, but was shocked when I saw how high the CO2 levels were, and how it took for them to go down into the safe/green zone.

Moved from gas to induction when we moved house, I liked gas cooking but induction is just as good if not better given how quickly it can heat up. Much safer too, particularly around kids. All our pans and wok work fine.

Regarding the CO2, that’s the least of your concerns cooking with gas in the home; it’s not particularly toxic to humans and doesn’t have the long term effects of the other pollutants released. People will look back in 50-100 years and think we were nuts to do it. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/15/gas-stoves-pollution-alternatives

Last edited:
We recently got an induction hob. Took a bit of getting used to as it's much quicker. We now put the toast on first before scrambling eggs!

Plus there never any worry of anyone putting their hand on a hot cooker

Yeah, we've an induction hob too and it's great. I can fry stuff in the big, trusty Le Creuset, add the stock and pop it straight into the oven.

We changed to induction 3 years ago. It's quicker but I don't love it for cooking. I find that higher settings are too high, too quick, and lower too low. So basically I still find my footing. But I recommend it in terms of cleaning!

Nothing like the microwave for scrambled eggs. No pot and pyrex jug much easier to clean in dishwasher.
I agree but there is a knack to it, some people just nuke them and get tough solid egg not at all like creamy scrambled egg. I think some find it easier to control in a pot :)

So I was quite shocked, especially as it takes a long time to reduce when I open the window, which I'm disinclined to do on these cold days. And so wondered about changing to an induction cooker. The freestanding ones all seem quite expensive.

But also I was wondering if anyone had done this, and is it much different to cooking on gas? I know about pans, but most of mine will work on induction. The other half is keen on using a wok - can this be used on an induction? Is it as fast and as responsive as gas in changing the temperature under the pot?

And any recommendations as to make? I'd prefer the cheaper end!
Is it just measuring CO2 or also VOCs and PM2.5? You'll still get higher readings even on electric hobs if you are doing "serious" cooking like frying a steak. I only have a ceramic hob but certain things like frying makes my 2 meters go wild, I get far higher pm2.5 readings from cooking than I do from my log burning stove, which emits almost nothing.

Ikea's monitor measures temperature, relative humidity, VOCs and PM2.5, but the reviews suggest that the app only shows current readings and no history which is a bit disappointing.

Back