The Rent-a-room scheme & complying with PPR Relief conditions

Calico

Hi All,

Any thoughts on the following? I am currently availing of PPR relief on family dwelling conditional on occupying said dwelling for 6 years. Can I rent a room under the rent a room scheme and work/travel in another country yet still comply with the conditions for the PPR relief? The dwelling has 2 bedrooms so I would rent one & keep the other one locked with my things in it. I might end up travelling/working for a couple of years.

I am thinking that the answer is yes due the following outline from the revenue leaflet :".... a recipient absent during any time through working abroad is considered to remain in continuous occupation of that dwelling-house." But, I just want to be sure as I know if I were a FTB, I wouldn't be able to do this and it would be a very, very expensive mistake to make.

If travelling/working for a couple of years I take it you will be remaining an Irish tax resident? You should be fine then, but you should phone your tax office to have peace of mind.

If travelling/working for a couple of years I take it you will be remaining an Irish tax resident? You should be fine then, but you should phone your tax office to have peace of mind.

Domicile - yes, but tax resident - probably not. You have to spend 183 days in the tax year to be a tax resident & I might be gone for a year or two.

Back