The elite are being discriminated against!

Salvadore

Government official complained after TikTok boss denied ‘platinum’ service at Dublin Airport

According to the Secretary General of the Department of Enterprise, the decision by DAA to drop its premium service to elite corporate customers is itself elitist. The elite customers she’d like to see use it just can’t get a fair shake.

Is the whole world gone mad?

They didnt (dont) have the staff to meet their basic obligations to all passengers so services such as this should be curtailed until they can handle it.

They didnt (dont) have the staff to meet their basic obligations to all passengers so services such as this should be curtailed until they can handle it.
They are, I presume, charging a large premium for these services and so should be generating income to provide extra services for other passengers.

If a service is provided it should be available to anyone who is willing to pay for it so I agree that it is elitist to restrict it to diplomats and those flying on private jets. When the carbon footprint per passenger is taken into account there's an argument for not providing it to those on private jets and only those who are willing to pay for it on commercial aircrafts.

They are, I presume, charging a large premium for these services and so should be generating income to provide extra services for other passengers.

If a service is provided it should be available to anyone who is willing to pay for it so I agree that it is elitist to restrict it to diplomats and those flying on private jets. When the carbon footprint per passenger is taken into account there's an argument for not providing it to those on private jets and only those who are willing to pay for it on commercial aircrafts.
They "should" but seeing as they were having to pay overtime to staff and staff from other airports for handling regular passengers, at the present moment I'm dubious. This is a staff intensive service.

They "should" but seeing as they were having to pay overtime to staff and staff from other airports for handling regular passengers, at the present moment I'm dubious. This is a staff intensive service.
Yea, fair point, but why not just charge more and generally pay the staff more? The problem is that they are offering wages that are below the labour market rate so they can't get enough suitably qualified people to do the job.

Yea, fair point, but why not just charge more and generally pay the staff more? The problem is that they are offering wages that are below the labour market rate so they can't get enough suitably qualified people to do the job.
That is one of the mysteries of DAA! I think as much of an issue with the wages is the hours. I read something to the effect you need to be available for 40 hours but are only guaranteed roster of 20 hours.

That is one of the mysteries of DAA! I think as much of an issue with the wages is the hours. I read something to the effect you need to be available for 40 hours but are only guaranteed roster of 20 hours.
Yea, I can't stand that sort of contract. Basically it's an employer who isn't competent enough to know when they'll need staff pushing that responsibility onto their employees without paying them for it.

I suspect curtailing this service was more a PR move. Unlikely to free up many staff, but they can say they're not prioitising the wealthy.

Back