The best way to withdraw money abroad?

T

TravelMan

I'll be going to Australia, NZ and US soon and wonder what's the best way to take money from my AIB bank account.
I know I could use the ATM card, but I heard the currency exchange is bad and there are some fees involved if taking other currency than euro.
A friend of mine told me to setup a bank account in Halifax as they don't have any fees, still I wonder is there a better way (I don't want to take cash with me, at least not for the whole trip).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Get a credit card and load it up so that it is in credit (i.e the bank owes you money). If you take money out with the card you get a very good f/x rate and you pay a low commission (1.75% with BOI). Just make sure you don't spend more than you loaded onto it otherwise you'll pay cash advance fees.

i would use a currency card such as caxton, the deal seems to good to be true...

free card, great exchange rates and no costs to withdrawal abroad you only seem to get charged if you withdraw money in you own currency

not according to their website

there is no fee to take money out of a hole in the wall or for international transaction

www . caxtonfxcard.com/feesncharges.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

From their T&Cs you seem to need to be a UK resident.
Have you managed to get one, if you are Irish?

2. Applying for and activating your Prepaid Card To apply for our Prepaid Card you must be at least 18 years old and a UK resident. We will require evidence of who you are and your address. We may ask you to provide some documentary evidence to prove this and/or we may carry out checks on you electronically.

You must sign the signature strip on the back of the Prepaid Card as soon as it is received. Please refer to our Website (www.caxtonfxcard.com) for all Prepaid Card loading options, or refer to the “Loading your Prepaid Card” section below.

By using the Prepaid Card you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.

Back