Tesco!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also don't like how they have placed the clubcard scanner, credit card machine and receipt machine at the end of the packing area so the cashier no longer does any of those things.

To be fair - the idea behind chip and pin cards is that you should never hand your card to the merchant. The card is to stay in your possession at all times to reduce the possibility of cloning/skimming. Most retailers in the UK now expect the customer to manage the payment side of things themselves when they use their cards. I expect this standard has started to reach Ireland now.

I don't like Tesco much, especially as they always quibbled the price mistakes (even with their no quibbling promise). I took advantage of it for a while though, as they just couldn't get the price of my weekly magazine (New Scientist) right - the price differed every week from the shelf label. This was a weekly saving of over €5! They seem to have finally resolved this now though, so I have bought myself a subscription instead! ;)

+1. Superquinn in Balinteer is a kip (worse since they did it up) while Tesco in Dundrum is great. Tesco in Nutgrove is a kip but Superquinn in Knocklyon is ok.

Superquinn in Northside is probably the worst supermarket in the country, Tesco Clarehall is great.

Tesco Omni Park is grubby/unkept, Superquinn Pavillions Swords is great.

I find Tesco depressingly bland. Nothing "nice" there just the usual items you need. Just back from France and the supermarkets there (especially the bigger ones) are superb. It's like the whole country is dedicated to food!

To be fair - the idea behind chip and pin cards is that you should never hand your card to the merchant. The card is to stay in your possession at all times to reduce the possibility of cloning/skimming. Most retailers in the UK now expect the customer to manage the payment side of things themselves when they use their cards. I expect this standard has started to reach Ireland now.

Oh I do understand that, in the past the machines were mounted nearer to the cashier, still in the packing aisle, so it gave the customer some privacy. Now they are right at the end of the packing area, mounted on a fixed stand in full view of everyone walking by. You kind of have to hunch your whole body over the machine to hide your pin. I don't know how someone in a wheelchair would manage using them.

My issue in a nutshell is this - Whether I'd paid for the item or not - It wasn't technically speaking marked incorrectly - It was on the wrong hook - Now every single one of them (the double pack inks) was on this same (wrong) hook.

Bad customer service in this instance, but they are under no legal obligation to sell to you at the marked price, be it in error or not.
Leo

I stopped shopping at Tesco a long time ago.
I now go to either Aldi or Lidl. I find it far less expensive. My shopping at Tesco used to be always over €100, sometimes approaching €200. It's rarely over €100 at lidl/aldi

Other goods I order online, where I can check and compare prices and get the best deal delivered to the door.

I used the self service checkout in Tesco in Oranmore - luckily one of their staff was helping me. I put €50 into the slot and lo and behold nothing happens - no change given. Now the Tesco lady couldn't give me the money back herself - she had to go off and get someone more senior (took about 10 mins). Then the senior lady comes along and starts fustering with the machine.
Eventually after about 20 mins they gave me my money back - they also took my name and address (presumably if they were down €50 they'd come after me).
I was not impressed with their service at all - imagine if the Tesco lady hadn't seen me put in the money. I think I'd still be waiting for it!

I was in Tesco in Dundrum one night around 11 and the self service tills were the only ones open. It stopped working when I had around a quarter of my shopping through and they were very unhelpful so I just left it all there and went home happy in the knowledge that they had the trouble of re-stocking everything.

I was in Tesco in Dundrum one night around 11 and the self service tills were the only ones open. It stopped working when I had around a quarter of my shopping through and they were very unhelpful so I just left it all there and went home happy in the knowledge that they had the trouble of re-stocking everything.

Well you can't really blame the floor staff for a technology failure.

When I used to work in a supermarket, I would like to have the job of restocking your goods. I get paid the same anyway and leave at the same time.
I would regard this as one of the better tasks. (speaking to customers being the worst)

As I have had to delete some defamatory comments, I am closing this thread.

Simple solution - if you don't like a shop or a chain, shop somewhere else.

If you want to defame someone, do it on another site or parade up and down outside the store with a placard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back