Wrong forum tenants rights - broken chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinchik

Dear All,
I’m after moving out from one rented apartment. All was in order but I did have a broken chair, for which obviously I will take responsibility. But my landlord, texted that I have to pay €80 for that chair! (its only one of those old wooden chair!) That if she will find same to match the set and if she wont, I will have to get her a new set of 4 chairs!
Does she have the right to demand this from me?
Regards,

Not too sure but if she is within her rights.

Effectively, this could mean that you own the old chairs which you should remove, if only to pi$$ her off. Ask to see the receipt for the originals. If the receipt shows that the chair is say, 10 years old, then I'd offer her €40 due to depreciation, ask her to sign a receipt written by you and move on. Chances are, she doesn't have the receipt. If she doesn't, ask her to specify the make/model and shop where it was purchased.

Hi Hillsalt,

Thanks for your reply. When I moved in previous tenants were to replace 2 chairs. They did and when I got then they definately weren't new, but I didn't complain or anything since it didn't bother me at all. But she is saying now that the chairs were completely new and I have no way of proving her wrong. i also mentioned normal wear and tear and she said that the chair was so badly broken, that it won't be normal tear and wear case, which is utter lie, as it wasn't bad. I kinda get the idea that she doesn't have money to give back to me and just trying to get out of paying my deposit back any way she can.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back