Tenant "removing" furniture

Life_pondering

Hi all,

A relative of my mine is abroad and rents out their house through an agency.

Recently, a new set of tenants moved in, asked for a two year lease and then left after three months - didn't pay last month's rent (use the deposit).

As well as breaking the lease, it now transpires that they also stole most of the furniture from the house. Any advice as to how they should proceed would be appreciated - they feel that they are probably wasting their energy chasing them but seems wrong just to let them away with it from my vantage. Would the gardai actually investigate the theft?

Thanks
L_P

I suspect that the Gardaí will say that it's a civil matter.
Isn't the agent giving any advice here?

It’s only one experience but I had a similar issue with the Gardai once. A disgruntled previous owner of land decided to destroy/break down a new fence that was added to outline the boundary of the land that this previous owner had sold.

It seemed fairly obvious to me that it was criminal damage but no, the Gardai said it was a civil case and would not get involved even after it was reviewed by the superintendent.

Hi all,

Recently, a new set of tenants moved in, asked for a two year lease and then left after three months - didn't pay last month's rent (use the deposit).

As well as breaking the lease, it now transpires that they also stole most of the furniture from the house. Any advice as to how they should proceed would be appreciated - they feel that they are probably wasting their energy chasing them but seems wrong just to let them away with it from my vantage. Would the gardai actually investigate the theft?

Thanks
L_P
As well as going to the Gardai, institute civil proceedings for damages to the value of the stolen furniture. If the furniture isn’t valuable, it mightn’t be worth it, but that’s up to the owner.

I suspect that the Gardaí will say that it's a civil matter.
Isn't the agent giving any advice here?
Thank you all. So civil means solicitors etc

From what I gather, the agent didn't realize that the furniture was gone and is kind of sitting on their hands saying it's not their problem if the ex-tenant ignores them. Legally this may indeed be true

I assume that involving the RTB would be a complete waste of time in such a situation.

It's a shame that they don't keep a register of delinquent tenants as it means that those tenants will be able to pull the same scam on their next landlord.

Presumably you have a list contents and photos of the property when the tenant moved in

They do.

You can search the RTB website for adjudication and determination orders against landlords and tenants.

Thanks, good to know. But would a case where a tenant has already flown the nest, as described above, fall within the RTB's remit?

But would a case where a tenant has already flown the nest, as described above, fall within the RTB's remit?
Yes, but landlord would have to withhold deposit, tenant would have to take landlord to RTB, and tenant would have to lose for it to get into the public domain.

Hi all,

Thanks
L_P
First thing if the agency finds and manages the house for the owner they have to take some responsibility. The agency should have checked references and they should followed The protocol of 14days and 28 day notice of rent arrears and then put a claim in to RTB if the rent was not paid. Your family need to contact the agency and see what they have to say for themselves.
They should have photos of the property and inventory taken before the tenants moved in. Check Rtb previous determination orders and see if the tenants are on the list. Agency should have checked this.
It more than likely be a wasted exercise to bring a case but if the agency have inventory and they can go after the tenants. Rtb has to know where the ex tenants have gone to chase the tenants. This is why you need a good agency.

Back