Tenant refusing to move

Meeting was uneventful but necessary. They seemed to be clutching at straws on the hope I was going to change my mind . They advised me they are on top of the waiting list for a social house which is obviously nothing to do with me either way . I requested they be gone by month end. They were full of false promises and unfortunately I see this rumbling on a while longer.

Would the heavy handed approach move things on quickly for the landlord ?
Maybe not the right way too go but things might move somewhat quicker

Would the heavy handed approach move things on quickly for the landlord ?
Maybe not the right way too go but things might move somewhat quicker
Well depends on what you mean my heavy handed ? Not really prepared to literally throw them out or pay someone to do that . I am putting the for sale sign up Monday morning. I’m hoping that might give them a further nudge

Meeting was uneventful but necessary. They seemed to be clutching at straws on the hope I was going to change my mind . They advised me they are on top of the waiting list for a social house which is obviously nothing to do with me either way . I requested they be gone by month end. They were full of false promises and unfortunately I see this rumbling on a while longer.
Being at the top of the housing list means nothing. That is for council housing. They do have options to living in a RAS property or in a housing association property but they may want a council property. Had a tenant that was no. 150 for years on the housing list and moved to 125 last year. There are many people that are higher priority. They can apply for housing association accommodation through the council.

story sounds like mine also.

I was a tenant and a LL and the government has turned tenants litigious (threshold should be called overhold) and turned LLs off of wanting to rent out to anyone
There are two injured parties here. The tenant and the landlord. Both caught up in a fractured system. With large corporate landlords that people wanted are now making it difficult for tenants to find affordable housing.

Agreed Threshold tell you to stay when legally you have no right to. RTB are slow to act as they do not want to be seen to confirm move out dates.

Were you not a landlord? How long did it take from move out date to actual date?

By means of update . The house is now for sale and up online . Viewings will begin over the next 2 weeks. The tenant is still there . I’m hoping the selling process gives them a nudge .

Viewings will begin over the next 2 weeks.

I'll tell you a story. We viewed a house years ago which was on the market as a rental. The viewings took place with the tenants in the house watching TV and eating their dinner. It was a bit weird. We weren't put off as we were FTBs and had time on our hands. We put in a bid, then another, and had the offer accepted

We subsequently went sale agreed and tenants cleared out with no hassle well before closing But I would say the whole scenario put off a lot of bidders. Bear in mind this was at a time with lots of rental properties for the tenants to move on to - the opposite of now!

As a potential bidder (particularly one in a chain) I would be really put off by the presence of sitting tenants.

I'll tell you a story. We viewed a house years ago which was on the market as a rental. The viewings took place with the tenants in the house watching TV and eating their dinner. It was a bit weird. We weren't put off as we were FTBs and had time on our hands. We put in a bid, then another, and had the offer accepted

We subsequently went sale agreed and tenants cleared out with no hassle well before closing But I would say the whole scenario put off a lot of bidders. Bear in mind this was at a time with lots of rental properties for the tenants to move on to - the opposite of now!

As a potential bidder (particularly one in a chain) I would be really put off by the presence of sitting tenants.
They have agreed not to be present during viewings so hopefully that will help .

Long time lurker on a previous account, this forum helped me so much when buying my first house back in 2018.

Now I'm back researching the guru's advice around trading up, avoiding chains etc. Anyway skip to the point!

Isn't this thread a great example as to why small private landlords are exiting the rental market en masse?

For example, I'm lucky enough to have passed the negative equity from the bust, changed jobs and now in a place to trade up. If I sold my current house it would cover the mortgage owed and some extra.

I could hold onto my current PPR and become a landlord. From everything I have heard from friends akin to this thread I'd run a mile!

The tenant is still there . I’m hoping the selling process gives them a nudge .

Unfortunately, with the system we have here, that may have played into the tenants corner for a payout from you.

They can sit tight for months on end without fear from the legal system we have.

If you get an offer on your home that your quite happy to accept, there will be incentives from you to pay the tenants to move out.

I'm not suggesting this will be the case in your predicament, as you have to have a certain mind set to carry on like that.

By means of update the tenant secured a council house and I will get vacant possession Monday morning. They are 2k in arrears and I hold an 850 euro deposit. I assume there is little value in chasing the arrears ? In respect of bills in the tenants name am I liable for any arrears ? Can these arrears impede on the selling process ? Very glad my stint as a landlord is coming to an end

In respect of bills in the tenants name am I liable for any arrears ? Can these arrears impede on the selling process ?

Not to my knowledge. But if one of the bills is for electricity then if the tenants don't settle it, they may have problems getting an electricity account for their new home.

You can get an RTB determination for the unpaid arrears and then seek to enforce it in the District Court.

It is probably not worth your time and hassle unfortunately.

Would such a determination affect their credit rating? If so, then it might be worth doing ............. even if only for spite!

By means of update the tenant secured a council house and I will get vacant possession Monday morning. They are 2k in arrears and I hold an 850 euro deposit. I assume there is little value in chasing the arrears ? In respect of bills in the tenants name am I liable for any arrears ? Can these arrears impede on the selling process ? Very glad my stint as a landlord is coming to an end
So you're down 1,150? I think you were extremely lucky...

Great to hear your news of the tenant getting council housing. Strange how the council can provide accommodation as soon as you put the for sale sign up in the garden.
In regards to the arrears of the energy bills they are not your concern. Contact a different energy provider, give a meter reading and put the account in your name. The other company can go after your X tenant. Even if you have forwarding details for the tenant the energy provider will not take the details due to gdpr.
Make sure you have your property tax, and your NPPR paid from a while back.( not sure if the NPPR liability is now gone) Also make sure if you lived in the house that you contact the council to apply for an exception for the time you lived there. This is where your energy bills and bank statements come into play here.

Would such a determination affect their credit rating? If so, then it might be worth doing ............. even if only for spite!
Do not think so. Many tenants can walk away free owing rent. Pity it is not like England where arrears are taken from their income. Then you still have to go to court to get a determination which costs money.

Back