Tenant looking for new bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a tenant ask the same...I had just left the house...and had slept on the perfectly fine mattress myself....I refused to get a new bed or mattress.

Hygiene is a concern in rented accommadation...one I deal with by providing a good mattress protector...tenants are free to wash this or augment it as they see fit.

If they prefer a new mattress...I'll store the old one for them, no prob.

She didn't ask again.
Some tenants are just downright nit-picky...and you are definitely better to nip that in the bud.

While the tenant was complaining about her mattress I was 8 months pregnant sleeping on a mattress on a floor...no bed. Not her fault but you get my drift.

I have done everything you have bar the being 8 months pregnant (thank god:))

You guys, can't be serious about buying a new bed, as someone who rents and pays quite a subsatantial amount to rent the bed would be non negotiable with me, as would be the chairs.

Sorry folks but if you've gotta live there you'd better be able to get a good nights sleep and sit in a chair without some piece of wood in your back.

You have got to have it in your heads that in a falling mrket it's in your own interest to supply these, any prospective tenant will have seen about seven or eight places before they make a decision, and anything negative will sway them away from your property, lack of light, small room poor fixtures and fittings, etc.

Sometimes people will make allowances for location but as the market tightens this isn't as much of an issue, I've seen serious rent drops in the past few months and it seems to be getting better (or worse depending on your point of view).

Oh yeah will someone please explain to me how someone can keep an apartment advertised for eight months without a tennant when by dropping the rent by a hundred or so their loss would be only a month as opposed to eight, I dunno.

See it starts with "i'm not buying a new bed,the tenents are just being picky" and it finishes up with "why should i get the hole in the roof fixed,the black mould was there when they moved in".
Its meanness and mean-spiritedness amongst some landlords that means if they're offering bad rental conditions they're going toget bad tenents.
Personally i'm glad i dont have to rent anymore,we were once waiting over a week to have a front window replaced,the only way to force his hand was to threaten to hold back the rent.

Personally i'm glad i dont have to rent anymore,we were once waiting over a week to have a front window replaced,the only way to force his hand was to threaten to hold back the rent.
Over a week to get a window replaced how disgraceful.

Over a week to get a window replaced how disgraceful.
My first thought as well! Windows have to be made and that takes a couple of days and that's after the guy comes out to measure up. It then needs fitting. Going from informing the landlord to a replaced window in 7 days is good going for the landlord. I recently got a single windo replaced in my own house and it took 6 days from first call to the window fitter. Back in the boom days I imagine it easily took longer.

Well the outcome is that I've agreed to buy a new mattress but as the bed is only 2 years old (but she says too squeeky) then I won't be replacing that.

If they are so picky about the beds, they should be bringing their own to the rental property as far as I'm concerned. I try to look after my tenants but there's a line you just need to draw, the spec of the equipment and furniture in the apartment is very good. I bought the apartment with a view to living in it myself until my circumstances changed so it's decked out well.

But I've a feeling these tenants are not going to be easy. :rolleyes:

Paulsgirl, if you are confident that the sofas, appliances, flooring, bathroom, wardrobes are all in good order, then really you should have to buy nothing else after the purchase of this mattress.
I rented in London for first few years and stayed in some dives. thankfully success in the letting business have moved me well away from that. however, having been a landlord for many years, i find that the beds and carpets are two things that need to be fresh and clean for a new tenancy. it is dead easy letting flats in London but the dead easy bit comes with delivering a property to the market that is freshly painted, very clean, new mattress (buy strong metal or wood framed bed frames and then only mattress need replacing) - cheap clean carpet (absolutely no stains). i wouldn;t want my children crawling on a dirty carpet but believe me some landlords are incredibly tight. before each tenancy begins, i take photos of everything in the flat even the inside of the oven, inside of the FF, the washing powder drawer in the WM, the toilet bowl , the kitchen sink !, the mattresses, the carpets, the curtains, the light fittings, the wardrobes and so on. i give the tenant a copy of the photos and they have to sign each photo and the tenancy b4 they move in. i tell them this is the way the flat needs to come back to me so there is no misunderstandings and i point out they must treat me fair and i will treat them fairly. 9 out of 10 times it works but you get the odd one but then i have the proof with the photos when the tenancy ends. i once made a tenant clean the cooker to the same condition i gave it to them, handed her the photo and said "use that as your guide" (the cooker was manky) b4 returning their deposit. she wasn't happy but hopefully she learnt something from the experience !

Well the photos are a great idea, I think I'll do that next time round. I'm meticulous about how I hand it over to new tenants. When I had it advertised a few weeks back, I had people actually handing me over deposits at the viewing to snap it up. I make sure its cleaned and fresh to a standard that I would live in. I just imagine these are going to be difficult tenants no matter what I do and that are not going to look after the place like my last tenants did. Just my gut feeling. We'll see how it goes...

My first thought as well! Windows have to be made and that takes a couple of days and that's after the guy comes out to measure up. It then needs fitting. Going from informing the landlord to a replaced window in 7 days is good going for the landlord. I recently got a single windo replaced in my own house and it took 6 days from first call to the window fitter. Back in the boom days I imagine it easily took longer.

So a week of having no front window is good going you think?
It was the best part of a week before he'd even come to check it out,then he said he'd get somebody to board it up which he didnt.Eventually some bloke came round,measured and fit a new piece of glass in a day.
For well over a week we had wind and rain blowing into the house while the landlord was charging us rent for it.

It was the best part of a week before he'd even come to check it out,then he said he'd get somebody to board it up which he didnt.Eventually some bloke came round,measured and fit a new piece of glass in a day.
For well over a week we had wind and rain blowing into the house while the landlord was charging us rent for it.
I'm sorry but if the window got blown in the first thing I would do is board up the window before calling the landlord. You let rain come into the house to destroy stuff do you think that is normal behaviour?

In my local council's guidance notes, this kind of repair is considered an "emergency repair". this is classed as a H&S issue and should have been repaired the same day. most glazing companies that are any good will be on site within a few hours to either do the repair or board up the window. unacceptable i am afraid from where i am standing. even when i am in a different country i can organise a repair like this within hours. the property business is about key contacts, plumber, electrician, carpenter, locksmith, glazier, carpet supplier, carpet cleaner. once you have a good working relationship with a person in each of these trades and you pay them promptly then happy days, its a piece of cake.
by the way it is not the tenants responsibility to be boarding up windows ! it is not their property and actually i wouldn't want a tenant drilling into the walls or window frame. i wouldn't expect them to have the tools or the materials to do the job, well it just doesn't work like this. full stop !

In my local council's guidance notes, this kind of repair is considered an "emergency repair". this is classed as a H&S issue and should have been repaired the same day. most glazing companies that are any good will be on site within a few hours to either do the repair or board up the window. unacceptable i am afraid from where i am standing. even when i am in a different country i can organise a repair like this within hours. the property business is about key contacts, plumber, electrician, carpenter, locksmith, glazier, carpet supplier, carpet cleaner. once you have a good working relationship with a person in each of these trades and you pay them promptly then happy days, its a piece of cake.
by the way it is not the tenants responsibility to be boarding up windows ! it is not their property and actually i wouldn't want a tenant drilling into the walls or window frame. i wouldn't expect them to have the tools or the materials to do the job, well it just doesn't work like this. full stop !

Exactly!
The landlord was well aware of the problem and told us he'd deal with it.
We had to repeatedly badger him and ultimately threaten to withhold rent before he eventually deigned to pay for the repair.
I can only see people above justifying that sort of lazy and parsimonious behaviour as them agreeing with it.

Mosstown, how can blown in or broken glass be an emergency repair? What council guides are you refering to?

I wasn't suggesting drilling holes, it's not that difficult to board up a window unless it's enormous.

Bronte, i cant believe you are asking such a question ? Do you know the size of the window ? Are you the Landlord in question ? !! Tell us how you would board up a window with plywood without using a drill ?
And regardless of all this stuff, it is an emergency repair ? what if someone climbed in and stole the tenants belongings because the Landlord wouldnt repair the window ? i say it again, it simply is not the tenants responsibility, they are also not insured to be doing any work on that property in question.
I hope you are not a Landlord !
Any by the way it is Enfield Council in the UK. they keep a record of any complaints make against Landlords in the Borough. if you get on the bad Landlord list, you can forget about ever having social tenants and these tenants are my bread and butter that in turn provide me with a good standard of living.

Personally i dont like sleeping on 2nd hand mattresses.But dont get them a new bed.a good mattress is all thats needed.shop around.

You said a window took seven days to be replaced. Now you are saying it was a window pane. A single glazed window pane replacement is a couple of days from notification but if it was completely broken then I as a landlord would have it boarded awaiting repair. I would do this for 2 reasons: the tenant is entitled to live in comfort and of course I want to limit damage to my own property. Perhaps you were as unclear with your landlord as to the problem as you have been here and so some confusion arose ;-)

You said a window took seven days to be replaced. Now you are saying it was a window pane. A single glazed window pane replacement is a couple of days from notification but if it was completely broken then I as a landlord would have it boarded awaiting repair. I would do this for 2 reasons: the tenant is entitled to live in comfort and of course I want to limit damage to my own property. Perhaps you were as unclear with your landlord as to the problem as you have been here and so some confusion arose ;-)

Is that so?
So when somebody colloquially talks of having a window broken,YOU seem to think they refer to the structure of the window rather than the glass?
Bizaare to say the least.
I rang the landlord and said "The wind blew the glass out of the window and it landed outside and could've killed anybody it hit,can you get it fixed quickly as its an emergency".
I dont really know how much clearer i couldve made it unless there's some sort of code that landlords use.
I'm pretty sure he understood one thing though "this is going to cost me money,i wonder could i get away with not doing it?".

Is that so?
So when somebody colloquially talks of having a window broken,YOU seem to think they refer to the structure of the window rather than the glass?
Bizaare to say the least.
I rang the landlord and said "The wind blew the glass out of the window and it landed outside and could've killed anybody it hit,can you get it fixed quickly as its an emergency".
I dont really know how much clearer i couldve made it unless there's some sort of code that landlords use.
I'm pretty sure he understood one thing though "this is going to cost me money,i wonder could i get away with not doing it?".

You have a real problem with landlords dont you!!! If I had you as a tennant I wouldnt be in much of a hurry to fix it....

You have a real problem with landlords dont you!!! If I had you as a tennant I wouldnt be in much of a hurry to fix it....

You seem to misunderstand the economic transaction that is the tenant/landlord relationship. The tenant pays you rent, and in return you provide habital lodgings and provide prompt repairs when necessary. It is not incumbent on the tenant to also think you are a great guy/gal.

Some should stick this thread just to show how deluded Irish landlords are, and what a swift kick up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language the coming recession and glut of rental properties will prove to be.

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back